Tinospora caffra just came out of dormancy

Yardley, PA

this just came out of dormancy. One of the winter growers. Has a beautiful, peeling caudex

Thumbnail by Sally0
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. I love that peeling caudex, too.

BTW, where did you get that plant? My usual sources sure don't have it.

Yardley, PA

I bought this so many years ago, I really don't remember. I wish I had kept better records.

Decatur, GA

Thats a very cool trunk. I am really fascinated by these plants. Keep the pictures coming.
Helen

I found Seeds available from B&T World Seeds 1 packet, 8 Euros. Now I am looking for germination info: heres a discussion for another in the species:

Tinospora fragosa is of horticultural importance and can be grown as a pot plant on verandas or windowsills. Grow in a sandy mixture, adding ample of bone meal and compost. Water only during summer and provide a support for climbing. Aerial cuttings (deciduous at this time) of about 250 mm and longer can be grown during late winter. Hang or tie with string in a warm sunny situation. Usually a single root will appear at along the lower end. Once the root reaches the ground, level a normal container with potting soil can be placed below and the plant will root itself. The root may take some time to appear (summer to autumn). Seed can be sown in shallow trays in the standard way. Cover lightly with a layer of sand (1-2 mm). Germination is within 4 weeks and the young plants can be planted out as soon as they are big enough to handle. Plants can be seen in the Botanical Society Conservatory at Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens.
Tinospora fragosa thrives out of doors where frost is absent or very light. It can be grown in dry bushveld gardens, along fences, pergolas, rockeries or simply grown in trees. In frost-prone, colder regions it thrives on windowsills, greenhouses or warm verandas.

Now do I make the purchase?

Yardley, PA

Go for it AnalogDog!!

I just have too much on my plate (no job, 6yo son, school) to handle it right now. Maybe later.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I love the peeling caudex and the heart shaped leaves. They look so soft.

Yardley, PA

These plants don't have the flowers but I love the plants for their unusual caudex.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.