Show Us Your Feeders, #15

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063990/

Fall 2010. Show us your feeders!

I've seen a larger ball feeder like this at both Farm and Fleet and Wild Birds Unlimited.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2010 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Mrs. Ed, very nice feeder. I haven't seen the wire type that you show. Don't have either a Wild Birds Unlimited or Farm & Fleet stores in this area. And I haven't seen them in any of my catalogs. What kind of bird is at the feeder. Nice photo and thanks for starting the thread.

Donna

Hey Donna, That's a white-breasted nuthatch. Funny little things. I'll keep an eye out for thie larger ball in other places.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My Waxwing feeder, ready and waiting . . . ;-)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Beautiful Resin. You MUST tell me where you got it. :D

It's a Sargent's Rowan (Sorbus sargentiana). Don't think it'll be hardy in zone 5.

Resin

Ah, well that's always the case then.

just outside of atla, GA(Zone 8a)

I really enjoy checking out everyone's feeders on this continuing thread. I have a few that I have not seen on these threads.

Unfortunately, I dropped my digital camera. I have already sent a note to the North Pole getting my request in early to Santa....smile.

Please, keep those pictures coming.

taxicat

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't know exactly how our zones differ ( U.K. versus U.S.) But my experience was that Rowans are adaptable to our northern climate here. I tried to plant several of them in my garden, they struggled for several years(3 years I think) then finally subcumbed to the heat of summer.

Marna, have you got a website for Wild Bird Unlimited to share? I'm getting ready to write to Santa, and would like to include some misc. items for our feathered friends in our backyard.

One of my fav. feeders for the summer.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

taxicat, it appeared we think alike. lol. One correction on my statement above. Actually there are two feeders on that arbor. To the left hand side, I've a makeshift- unshelled peanuts feeder for Blue Jays. I've tried to attract Blue Jays forever-- but even with peanuts. I only saw Cardinals and the beloved T. Titmice to such feeder.

http://www.wbu.com/

Quote from Lily_love :
But my experience was that Rowans are adaptable to our northern climate here. I tried to plant several of them in my garden, they struggled for several years(3 years I think) then finally subcumbed to the heat of summer.

Some are, some aren't. European Rowan (S. aucuparia) is very hardy, but many others are less so. Sargent's Rowan is from the mountains of southern China, where the climate compared to the US is most like the PNW - fairly mild winters, but cool summers. Agree, summer heat is a problem for most rowans, it makes them very susceptible to fireblight disease, which is worst in hot humid conditions.

Resin

More Nature's bird table . . . White-berried Rowan

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

An Anna's Hummingbird has been sighted in central Illinois, and someone posted this link for keeping feeders warm.

http://www.dongorney.com/humfeeder.htm

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Resin for the white Rowan, I haven't seen one before. Marna, thanks for the link. Such great idea for helping out those little feathered friends through the winter. I missed seeing those tiny little flying jewels.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Went Christmas shopping the other day and found nothing!! Out of sheer frustration I stopped at the farm store and picked up this suet feeder. I stuffed it with some homemade suet and the birds love it!

Here is the Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

And the Downy!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

The Tufted Titmouse has also discovered as well as the Starlings! The Starlings were attacking it like crazy so I have had to put it in a cage and they can't reach it. All the other birds except for the Red-bellied can get inside the cage.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Such a cool idea of a feeder log. Rose, I feel bad for the Redbellied that couldn't get to the feed. Awwww, those Starlings a problematic, but they are pretty to look at in my view. Then again, I don't have many here so I can only enjoy them from far away.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

If you have a squirrel baffle, try using it above the log. I find the larger straight flight birds won't fly up underneath it but the downy, wrens, kinglets etc will.
That is a nice log...very appreciated in the winter.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice Rose! I have one too but it's older and doesn't look as good as a new one. :-)

Hobart, IN

here is the ground tray feeder.

Thumbnail by lionhrt9
Hobart, IN

This where it all started, boss hopper feeder. I added the suspended shell/tray feeder underneath to help with the yard. My wife calls this the ufo feeder.

Thumbnail by lionhrt9
Hobart, IN

critter covers on all hanging feeders. This drives the WPs nuts!!! Full of Planters rejected peanuts.

Thumbnail by lionhrt9
Hobart, IN

adapted a tail stand to a double barreled suet feeder. Also used it as a hanger for a thisle sock that the goldie love, even when a RB woody is feeding above them.

Thumbnail by lionhrt9
Hobart, IN

hung this up right before the weather changed and have not had one guest on it. Gonna let er hang out for the season before switching windows with it.

Thumbnail by lionhrt9
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I currently have the small Yankee feeders which I am pleased with but was wondering about the large hopper type that are metal in the Duncraft catalogs. Does anyone have them? I am guessing over time they would rust. I am looking for a nice large feeder that would last a few yrs.

I also love woodpeckers, I have suet feeders any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Teresa in KY

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Lionhrt, that is a great idea with adding the tail to the suet feeder!! Much cheaper!

I want ahopper feeder too but can never decide on one that will do for all the birds! And I wish I lived where I could put a window feeder up. That would be really cool!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I tried to respond to you yesterday, Teresa, but my pc went kaput--due to the weather. I enjoy watching everyone's different type of feeders. As far as attracting Woodpeckers? I've noticed that Downy wps favored the suet feed (of various kind, peanut, seeds, dried fruits ect.) ...

editted to correct typos.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 4:15 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

But the Redbellied and these Redheaded Woodpeckers, however, prefer the shelled peanuts that I mixed in with the wildbirds-seed feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Marlton, NJ

My Downy Woodpeckers are the same as Lily's, they ONLY eat suet at my place.

I'm happy to show you a custom-built feeder. Don't ask me for the plans, because I am not the mastermind. A dear DG birder friend and I discussed an ideal platform feeder for bird photograph and voila!

Come spring this will be mounted or have its own platform stand, but for now it sits on an ugly aluminum table. I put the garland around it to soften the table when taking pix. The tray is removable. I love it!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2011 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

That is really nice!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wow that a lovely platform feeder, great decor accent for the yard and useful too.

Hobart, IN

@ pelletory "My Downy Woodpeckers are the same as Lily's, they ONLY eat suet at my place." Our downys and all WPs in the area prefer the planter roasted rejected peanuts in our "sunflower" feeder. They attack that thing!!!

@ bluegrassmom "I currently have the small Yankee feeders which I am pleased with but was wondering about the large hopper type that are metal in the Duncraft catalogs. Does anyone have them? I am guessing over time they would rust. I am looking for a nice large feeder that would last a few yrs.

I also love woodpeckers, I have suet feeders any other suggestions?"

I would suggest a peanut feeder for WPs!!! there are several other birds that love it also. I love the big hopper feeders and also like Duncraft feeders but my BOSS hopper is plastic and with a critter sheild mounted above it believe that it will be there for some time. Check out wild birds unlimited on the web for some additional feeder options, just my 2 centavos!!

@ nanny_56 "Lionhrt, that is a great idea with adding the tail to the suet feeder!! Much cheaper!

I want a hopper feeder too but can never decide on one that will do for all the birds! And I wish I lived where I could put a window feeder up. That would be really cool!"

Thanks for the tail prop comments!!! they seem to really be more comfortable when going after the suet esp the larger WPs like the RBs!!! Got the idea somewhere online and figured I already had the 2 wire feeders.

The window feeder still doesnt have any action and we may have to move it. It is literally 3 feet from where our house sparrows live and wonder why it wont attract. Also the critters havent gotten to it yet either. May have to get that one that has the one way mirror in it!!!

I think I am going to get one of the tail prop feeders tomorrow that can accommodate the Pileated Woodpecker.

Well, I went to Wild Birds Unlimited and used my gift card I got this double suet feeder in hopes that the pileated woodpeckers will return!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

They had their Christmas stuff marked down 50% so I got one the peanut wreaths too just for fun! Did grab extra bag of peanuts too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Hobart, IN

Quote from nanny_56 :
I think I am going to get one of the tail prop feeders tomorrow that can accommodate the Pileated Woodpecker.

Good lookin feeder, my hopes are for a Pileated also, we have woods but they are around a mile away, get lots of RBellieds so I am still hopeful.

Love the peanut wreath, that will get em going!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nan, I want that peanut-ring feeder bad, real bad. lol. We used to have a Wildbirds Unlimited nearby, but it went out of business. I missed it badly here. 50% off, oooh yah I can make a trip to the store if it were still operating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.