Do you want a Brugmansia cutting next spring?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A few weeks ago I brought my Brugs in from the frost and they are drying out and going dormant in their pots, all leaves and buds dropping as usual.

At this time of year, I usually take cuttings by sawing off several branches and placing them in buckets of water, with a little H2O2 hydrogen peroxide to prevent rotting. These are very weedy plants, and sprout lots of roots from the nodules on the stems. By spring, they are ready to plant.

I am planning to move to an apartment this coming May and will not have room for these gorgeous plants, alas. If you would like a cutting, let me know and I will save one for you. (I'm in Ottawa)

Regards, Andrew

Thumbnail by andycdn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Andrew.....are you kidding me? Yes Yes I will love some cuttings please. I am a newbie on here and recently moved to Ottawa from the Toronto area. I am in Orleans, east ottawa.
If you have a whole plant that you might be thinking of selling, I might even buy that off you for a fee if you are willing to sell? It will save me rooting a cutting and waiting for it to get bigger come spring

Mick

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Andrew, do you know which Brug that is? It looks like a prolific bloomer and the bottom leaves are so large!

Sorry to hear that you have to move into an apartment.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

By the way, Mick... get some good rooting hormone powder and some moss. I dip the dampened bottom of the cutting in rooting hormone... wrap it it moss, mist it. Then take some saran wrap to wrap it up and mist it - not too damp - for awhile to get roots. This method works best for me. I have a very good success rate.

Just set them in plastic cups to support them.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Teresa isn't there some trick to being above a Y so you get flowers? I had a friend with Brugs and I remembered something about that issue?
Ann

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi Ann. Yes, if you take a cutting above the Y, it won't have to wait forever for buds. They will bud at a shorter height. It depends on the effect that you want to create. Personally, I love the full canapy effect... like a standard (tree-like) brug. Maybe about 6 feet tall with a large canapy of flowers.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Andrew are you still there, you didn't just come here and tease us did ya? LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Mick, I have several brugs that bloomed this past summer and would be happy to sell you one. Drop me a Dmail with your phone # and we can talk.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Teresa, if you are a full DG member, you can access my journal and review the entire process I went through to grow my brugs from seed; included are the details of the cross-hybridization. I documented this in detail.

My mum classifies these plants as 'weeds', in that they grow rapidly in most cirumstances (expet freeziung) and rampantly. So my way of growing the cuttings works: I take 18" sticks from above the Y, as mature as possible, and put them in a bucket of water (8-10" deep) with a splash of hydrogen peroxide and let them sit in the basement over the winter. I replace the water about once a month. They sprout roots in a month or two. I pot them up in spring and put them out after frost (end of May here).

Thumbnail by andycdn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This photo shows the root growth of one cutting by early December. Much thicker by spring! --A

Thumbnail by andycdn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Andy...dmail sent with my number

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi Andy, I use the exact same method for cuttings.. in buckets of water with hydrogen peroxide... and even a couple of drops of Superthrive, when I remember.

For special cuttings that I want to pamper, I use the rooting hormone, moss and saran wrap method.

I've grown brugs from seed as well. I have very very many more seeds to start.. but don't have enough room for them all. ;-)

Yes, I am a full DG member and I would love to view your journal.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Quote from Teresa_in_BC :
Hi Andy, I use the exact same method for cuttings.. in buckets of water with hydrogen peroxide... and even a couple of drops of Superthrive, when I remember.

For special cuttings that I want to pamper, I use the rooting hormone, moss and saran wrap method.

I've grown brugs from seed as well. I have very very many more seeds to start.. but don't have enough room for them all. ;-)

Yes, I am a full DG member and I would love to view your journal.

Does this method of dipping cuttings in water, not rot the cuttings? Also when Andy said he leaves the bucket in the basement, do you need light for this process, or it doesn't matter? What is the job of the H202?

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Mick.. you may have the odd cutting that will rot, if you don't change the water regularly and use Hydrogen Peroxide. The H Peroxide helps to keep the cuttings clean and fight off any infections, with less rotting.

I leave mine on the garage floor. They get a bit of light from the garage window... but not a lot.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Teresa, feel free to review my journal -- I just checked, and the privacy setting is marked 'public', so you shouldn't have a problem accessing it. I organized it by year, then plant, so there are several years of Brug entries as time went on. I kind of petered out a couple of years ago.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Andy....you didn't call me yet did you? I sent you my number

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes, I called and left a msg but didn't hear back... will call again tomorrow. --A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.