Suggestions for teaching a toddler to be organized

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

I'm prepping my 2 yo to start Montessori in January. One of the things emphasized is organizing things, putting things in easy reach for children, etc. I'm looking for some low shelves so she can put her toys, books, puzzles away independently. Whatever she learns at school will be reinforced at home.

Any suggestions from you organization gurus on what I could do for a 2 yo.

An overview of the situation:

Recently became single mom with custody
Daughter is 2 1/2 years old, pretty good about putting things away when asked
She has her own bedroom upstairs, exclusively for sleeping
Playroom downstairs (used to be the guest room), but now that it's just me and Lindsey, I've decided to design the house for ***US*** - I have a home office and she has a playroom (this will enable us to get the toys out of the living room and my office) and teach her to respect shared space by not dumping her stuff in the living room or kitchen or my home office - at night we are going to go room to room to put her things away. That's all fine - except, I need somewhere for her to put her stuff and now it's basically an empty room.

I've looked at Montessori type items, like low shelves, etc. - and $$$$$$$$. I'd like to know how others have organized their toddlers - no, it's not meant to be a military precision, more of a quiet sense of "order" - OK, Lindsey, now it's time for bed, let's put everything away.

Ideas? Suggestions?

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!