Korean Pine in the Midwest?

Danville, IN

What is anyone's experience with Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis)? On a visit to Hidden Lake Gardens in Michigan, I saw some beautiful specimens of both the species and 'Glauca', which seems to not get as large. They were doing wonderfully in Southern Michigan, and M. Dirr says in his Manual that they are hardy from Zones (3)4 to 7 and should be used more. I've never seen them for sale at nurseries and garden centers in this area. Has anyone had experience growing this pine in the Midwest?

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I have my first personal plant, from a trade with a fellow who grows them from seed in IL. I hope I can see it through to a full size mature tree.

I have much longer experience planting Pinus koraiensis (Korean Pine) for various institutions, and observing them at gardens and arboreta around the middle and eastern US.

Bernheim Arboretum (Clermont KY, just south of Louisville) has very large specimens, growing extremely well in an exposed location and little to no additional assistance (watering, etc.). These would have been planted in the early to mid 1980s, and are part of a specimen conifer collection that doubles as a windbreak to the extensive American holly collection at Bernheim.

Spring Grove Cemetery (Cincinnati OH) has some very old plants. You could contact their horticulture staff about age, size, etc.

I have planted this tree for the horse farms I used to work for (1980s - 1990s), as well as for clients in the Bluegrass area of KY. It transplants just fine, much like an Eastern White Pine, and has a denser habit and somewhat narrower crown with age. The 5 needled fascicles seem to have a bit of a twist in how they display. The plant looks fuller than Eastern White Pine, probably because Korean Pine holds its needles for three years rather than just two.

Not a lot of nurseries bother to grow it, since it is similar to Eastern White Pine and Limber Pine in appearance. You could do a search of Ohio or Indiana growers, and see if it shows up in inventory. Some of the conifer seedling growers (lots in PA) may have young plants to line out.

I agree with the above stated estimation of the plant: good looker, not hard to grow, ought to be used much more often.

Danville, IN

Thanks for your info. I can probably get a good-sized tree special-ordered from a local nursery. I might just get some liners to grow on and use on jobs! Sounds like a winner!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a 10yr old korean pine doing just fine in midwest conditions.

Danville, IN

That's encouraging. Thanks, Weerobin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.