Adeniums

Arlington, TX

I miss the adeniums freaks that used to be on here. I think they all went to cubits.
C

Decatur, GA

Yeah, maybe. I like this better.

Arlington, TX

LOL well I just don't grow many caudiciforms, just adeniums...

Yardley, PA

Probably nobody is here because most of the adeniums are sleeping now. This does seem to be more of an adenium thread. I have lots of caudiciforms. Just love them.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I believe the slowdown of the Adenium threads is twofold. First, Wilfred (from Puerto Rico), an Adenium aficianado/expert, was laid off his job and got very depressed and so stopped posting. Second, another knowledgeable Adenium person consistently promoted the sales of his Adeniums on this forum, which is against DG's TOS and he was told to stop. I think he did go over to Cubits. This left a lot of Adenium people without someone extremely knowledgeable to help them and with whom to discuss their plants, so I think a lot of them also went to Cubits. Maybe some of them are still here or some will return and participate. I hope so, because I like hearing about ALL of the different caudiciforms.

Arlington, TX

Me too but I still like to hear about adeniums as well. BTW mine are not asleep, the lighting system is keeping them wide awake. One is still blooming and 2 others are forming a few new buds. LOL Not that anyone is interested!
Any suggestions on a funky caudiciform that might make an interesting bonsai? I saw a few on arid lands that look cool but I want one that is not impossible to grow.
C

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's some info featuring one of the preeminent and world-renowned bonsai succulent growers, Rudy Lime.

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/article_7679066c-bb08-5efa-ab81-6297d787d0b3.html
http://www.sgvcss.com/communique/sotm_2003_05.pdf

Decatur, GA

newtons, I have one blooming adenium and one forming buds too!. But I know its the last for the season and then they will all sleep, which is fine. I am going to need to find out how to properly prune my adeniums next spring. They have gotten leggy. But thats for later.
Helen
ps. I am very sorry to hear about Wilfred. He was so generous with his knowledge and great to have participating. Depression is a difficult disease. I hope he is getting some treatment.

Arlington, TX

Helen pruning when they are actively growing is not a problem. I have cut off branch ends with no ill effect and removed entire branches that were poorly placed. The plants have always recovered and put out multiple branches where the old were cut.
C

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't know what's been happening with Wilfred. I did some poking around over at Cubits but didn't find any recent posts from him. It's sad when we lose someone this way. I hope he's getting some treatment too, and has found another job.

Arlington, TX

There certainly seems to be enough sorrow and heartache to go around these days. I remind myself how lucky I am that my circumstances have not been seriously impacted by this depression. Wilfred was helpful and kind and I do miss asking him questions.
C

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I for one miss the discussions about non-adeniums especially when I have never raised it. But I recently found Xericplants.com, Been going to epiforums.com and trying to find discussions and all are not very verbose right now. But if you want to chat on the Pacific Bulb Society, they are still going strong, and offering Massonia bulbs I have seen no where else. Its winter, and winter is not very good to us plant people.

Arlington, TX

There seems to be a variety of discussions on here about plants and plant culture.

So do we repot our dormant plants or our growing plants?

Yardley, PA

I repot when they need it. However, with s/h there is less stress to the roots as they are roaming free. I do trim in the spring.

Arlington, TX

I would'nt repot a dormant plant. If it's not really doing much growing why not wait til it is active.
C

Yardley, PA

I just usually repot when the spirit moves me. lol.

I agree with Newton, but can be like Sally, too.

Yardley, PA

I am sure Newton is right but I never have followed rules very well. lol

Decatur, GA

The best time to repot is when you have the time and the inclination! If I tried to plan for the 'right' time it might never get done. ^_^
Helen

Arlington, TX

Well repotting is my least favorite chore so I am certain my plants don't get repotted when they should. If it looks ok chances are it will stay where it is.
C

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I just wanted to say that I am happy we are now discussing different kinds of caudiciforms and not almost totally adeniums as this forum used to be. I give Sally a lot of credit for sparking interest in so many wonderful plants and using semi-hydroponics. I have nothing against adeniums and have some, but I like to discuss and see other caudiciforms too. Helen has also shown us some really nice caudiciforms.

I totally agree Nancy, I could not have said it better my self.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

There were so many Adenium threads for a while that I almost suggested that a separate forum be set up for them.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 11:07 AM

Decatur, GA

Thanks for the nice comment Nancy. And thank you newton for the pruning advise. There is always something to learn... I love it.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I am happy to have a place to share my plants and the s/h info. Would love to see others caudiciforms. Adeniums are the most well known that is for sure.

Dallas, TX

Here is one of my adeniums . They drop their leaves now, so I am training their branches .

I name this plant "Love me dearly"
The shape of a heart represents Love , but it is also the back of a male . He is on his knees and his hands are wrapping around the waist of a female ---> So happy, she blooms year-round ....

This message was edited Feb 10, 2011 1:24 AM

Thumbnail by camquat
Yardley, PA

That is so poetic camquat. It is fun the human shapes they tend to take on. Especially rear ends.

Dallas, TX

The Rhinoceros

This message was edited Feb 10, 2011 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by camquat

Beautiful caudex. Wow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.