Strawberry question

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am wondering if anyone has grown them in a bale. I mean on the top, ends and sides like a strawberry jar? I think I may try it. I have a couple empty bales and some plants that need to be moved. What do you guys think?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well since strawberries come back every year and strawbales don't, I don't think it would work too well unless you boxed them in like I have done. Even then they decompose so much that by next year you will have nothing but rotting straw and some of the best compost you've ever seen.

Doug

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Then I could pull the new plants from the runners and plant in a new bale?

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

How are your strawberries doing?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They are still in the old bed. I need to move the whole bed. They are out from under the snow where they were all winter and are now putting on some new growth in the crowns.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been growing my strawberries in my straw bale for the last 5 years. The bales last me 2 years then I transplant the plants to the new bales. I grow the largest berries in the neighbor hood.
Now I am going to try and grow some Rhubarb in the bales. Why not. I love strawberry / rhubarb pie. I think it will work just fine.
You be the judge. I don't do a thing to them in the winter, they just die back and then start blooming all over again the next year. I live in Oregon and we get plenty of rain but very seldom does it snow here.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for this info. I have mine in 20 gallon tubs now. They have not done great. :( I will move them to bales. Should I have the bales ready for the runners to be transplanted? My plants are two years old so I know I can do away with the mother plants.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I never got rid of the mother plants as they keep throwing more runners. Why get rid of something that is still producing?
Really I have one plant that is about 5 years old. I will take a pic of it.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My folks were berry farmers in South Louisiana and it was a rule with them to never keep a plant more than 2 years because the fruit got smaller.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Heheh, I guess no one told my plants that. They still are giving me Bigguns.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My folks were farming when I was a baby so that was 50 years ago. No doubt different strains of plants have been developed by now. :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I may just have been lucky. I did notice when I went out to photograph the mother plant, it was one that got mulched with the old bales. so I guess we are starting a new generation. Hope they are as prolific as their parent plants were. The ones that I did photograph are mothers of 4 years. Things are just getting going and the runners are running and the flowers are just beginning to bud. We get a late start here.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 10:38 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I bought a hanging strawberry basket with plants in it. Very healthy and the plants have fruit on. The blooms are pink. Very pretty. I got one as a gift last year from a friend but the blooms were white. I am ashamed to say I have not taken too good of care of it but it is still surviving. The one I bought was reduced from $12 to $7.

I have a hanging strawberry planter that I am going to put some of my plants in so I can have one of the tubs for my raspberry plant.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.