Have: Maple leaf viburnum

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

V.acer,16-17 freshly harvested seeds 10/10.Easy from seed,fast growing and easy to propagate by pinning lower limbs. I need some red osier dogwood seeds/cornus servicea. Lost mine to Aug.triple digit tempts before I could get them fall planted.

P

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

finally found picture taken this year of my seed grown maple leaf vib. about 2-2 1/2 yrs old,apx.6-7 ft tall

Thumbnail by bigred
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

bigred:

That picture sure looks like Viburnum opulus or Viburnum trilobum. Were the fruit/seeds red that you collected, sowed, and grew out? If so, that's a match.

Viburnum acerifolium (what is known as Mapleleaf Viburnum) has blue/black seeds, much like Viburnum dentatum.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes,they are red. Thank you for clearing that up for me. They were seeds from a trade labeled mapleleaf that I grew out. I will google it.

P

I googled and you are correct. Thank again for correctly i.d'ing them for me. Way so not suppose to be growing in this area and I have them planted in a pretty dry location.

So since it's a cranberry,the fruits are safe for humans to eat?

This message was edited Nov 7, 2010 4:36 AM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You are quite welcome.

I think humans can eat most of the Viburnum genus fruits, though some are tastier than others. I have not tried the two Cranberrybush Viburnum types, since they don't grow very well in my climate/soils.

They ripen (soften) pretty late into winter, so you might wait a bit to try them. I expect that they will have a tart characteristic to them.

My favorites are the Viburnum dilatatum, Viburnum prunifolium, and Viburnum rufidulum. Can't go wrong with them.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks again. I really appreciate the correct species and wouldn't want to trade them off under the wrong one and have someone disappointed. Still I nice shrub.

casselberry, FL

do you have any of these left.....i would love some...im just starting so i dont have much to trade....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.