Possible Hippeastrum Mrs. Garfield????

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I bought this (labelled as Chinese Amaryllis) on a well-known online auction on 3/27/10. It is just now coming out of dormancy. I am hoping it is Mrs. Garfield. Keep my fingers crossed.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the pix from that auction.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

the stripe is not really yellowish but white, but the flash picked up the yellow from the wooden door. Any thoughts on this?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I would say that is Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium, the midrib is nice and white, I wouldn't say "Ms. Garfield"

The water looks a bit soggy, what kind of potting mix are you using? It needs to be something that drains very fast and well, bulbs are very rot prone, you must be careful :)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Josh. Guess I will have to look up a good Ammy mix I can put together here in the GH. I only water every 2 weeks. I had just watered it when I took the pix. It was almost bone dry before that but looking good. So what is the difference between the cross & Mrs. Garfield? Thanks for posting your comment.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

"Mrs. Garfield" is a hybrid, it isn't a true species where as Hippeastrum reticulatum var striatifolium is the true species. "Mrs. Garfield" is an old hybrid of Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium x H. "Defiance".

In my opinion your leaves have a white midrib where as the hybrid "Mrs. Garfield" has a diluted white midrib.

When new leaves are formed on hybrids tho sometimes they appear very white and clean until they're a bit older, post another picture in about a week or so!

Thanks
Josh

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I will post the pix as they come.
Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.