One week and nothing happening.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I got choice bulbs of Black Pearl and Blossom Peacock from a local nursery. I soaked them in lukewarm water and potted them up. I give a small amount of water 3-4 tablespoons of water and have them in a morning sun eastern window (east or west only, no south windows in this house). I have tried a heating pad (human type) to warm them up. Still no reaction from the bulbs.

What can I do to trigger their growth? Or am I being overanxious?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It can take anywhere from 1-8 weeks before they start growing. I've never had to wait longer than a couple weeks. Just make sure you don't over water them as they can rot.

Josh

Carmel, CA

anything happening with the bulbs? inquiring minds...

Yes. Black Pearl is showing a shoot starting off, and Blossom Peacock has the leaf tips all dried up. Minerva, purchased at HD at bargain price has about a 1" shoot. Maybe I have been under-watering?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Water well, until water comes out the drain hole on the bottom.

Seriously, I heard that could rot the non-growing bulb.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh I re-read your post, silly me. I'd wait until you see new growth then follow my previous posts advise. Sorry 'bout that!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah, water just ONCE until there is a good inch of growth :)

So then what about the one with the dry top?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The leaf tips are dry? They grew out dry? That's probably a storage issue as Hippeastrum can grow and bloom without being potted up in the box, I'd say they were already browned inside the bulb and the new foliage is pushing them up.

OK, no they were level in a cut across the top, so new growth is happening? Should I fertilze, I worry about this one alot as its shown no green growth. And I did water like specified, and gave a few days of heat, but have started watering the others moderately and this lightly not to loose them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If they were cut straight across that was from last years growth, I fertilize mine every watering with 1/4 teaspoon of a liquid soluble mixture, I've heard not to fertilize until after the flowers fade but I do anyway. There isn't a need to water so much before growth has started and not much afterward until it has created a decent root system. With no roots you're just enabling rot and fungus as there isn't a way for the plant to drink. Typically you only want to water when the medium is mostly dry, over watering is the biggest cause of failure in Hippeastrum and most other plants for that matter!

Veronica Read has a book "Hippeastrum: The Gardner's Amaryllis" that you should for sure get a hold of, she has some wonderful cultural advice in the book as well as great information about the breeding industry, it's a must have for serious Hippeastrum enthusiasts!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.