THE GPS 11 - The Glorified Potting Shed

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, its November... time to batten down the hatches of the old GPS...

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awwww dang it.. the title is supposed to be #12......How do we fix that??

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

purple verbena

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

White achillea boy this ones late!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Going to marigolds....

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice November color. Very nice. How about Celosia "Spring Green" from seed.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, thats neat! that would make a great St Pattys cut flower.. too bad your so early!

I bad. Yeah, the color is neat. It's a brand new variety of Celosia that may become popular due to the unique color and for floral arranging. I like to grow some other lime green flowers as in "Antique Lime" Nicotiana and a few lime green zinnia varieties. They can be stand outs in bouquets. Currently have a new Petunia named "Sophistica Lime Green" coming along from seed.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I tried that Picasso petunia.. I was happy with it, but got it too late in the season to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Flowers like a Wave, in size. The pink is cool with the green.

I think the colors of "Pretty Much Picasso" are interesting, but I'm not wild about the bloom size and leggy nature of the variety. Saw a hanging basket of "Pretty Much Picasso" at a nursery last week. Didn't buy it. My Lime Green ones are growing with solid red and solid white petunias.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with you there on it being leggy.. stringy woudl be more the word for it! The colors are nice though. There is something about red, pink, white, greens that make for a nas combo!

Kinda Christmassy come to think on it!

Checked the loofas...they are still a tad tough. I hope the GPS heats up to help dry them down.

Doing the red/white/yellow combination with tall snapdragons this winter for something different. Planted the seedlings, but they still have a long way to go. They're only about 4 or 5 inches tall and probably won't put out first blooms until Christmas.

Went to Flamingo Road Nursery this AM and more winter "stuff" is coming in. Bought some Foxglove, Cosmos, Osteospermums, Browallia (Amethyst Flower) and Tibouchina (Princess Flower).

Here's a photo of some Browallia "Blue Bells" and "Silver Bells". From what I've read it's an easy plant to overwinter and continues to bloom inside the house in Northern climates.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And this is Tibouchina (Princess Flower) "Athens Blue"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I love blue!

Well I checked the sponge gourds.. there were not any ready to peel.

Did not have time to cut the canna or do any marigolds.. well I take that back.. I had some marigold seed done and as I was moving them to put them in a better place.. I spilled the box all over the dining room. UGH..what a mess.

Thne discoverd still have another mouse... grrrr.! But the good news is he had a fine prepared dinner so he should not last long! Hate doing that with a dog in the house, but Im desperate. The dogs a lousy mouser anyway so hopefully she will not eat his sorry carcass before I find it.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I'm back...again.

It's gone from mild summer weather to "DANG! It's cold!" in a weeks time. Gotta be in the hi-30's this am.

Finally got the halloweeny stuff down and packed away. Had a great crowd for the haunted house but none of the lil maggots were scared of anything....LOL. Hit the stores for after Halloween sales for next year's event which I have already themed "Grannie's Gore Store".

Busy all the rest of the week,putting plants in the greenhouse and getting ready for winter then I'm off to San Antonio for Thanksgiving week w/ my DD and grandkids.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well, the "maggots' have been desensatized by tv... go figure.

Dang girl, your colder down there than here! This AM is sunny.. sweatshirt weather.

Gotta run.. critters are hongree!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No animals left here except the dawgs.Finally found a home for the donkies.

Veiw from the other end into the "haunted house" which was nothing more than the front porch and patio with some lame homemade props....but the kids loved it and the parents thank us for putting it on for them.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont laugh but I think our donkey was messing with one of the girls. Caught the "action" out of the corner of my eye when I was dragging the pasture.. the lil snot.. foreplay means ...Oh shoot, cant go there.. will have to d-mail you.. but him and her appear to be an item.

Well, we been wanting a mule foal for years..so if we have a long eared foal next fall we will know what happened.

glad the party was a success.

Im still working on marigold seed. The last frost really did them in so in a few days they ought to be ripe for picken.. they look sooooo sad!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I was hoping to catch a few seeds of my russellia(sp?) but they make so few and the few that I did see got away from me. I'm debating if I should dig it up and put it in the GH since this is it's first year and I'm not sure it's hardy here

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

A russa whati??? Caint say I heard of that one!

Got a huge lavender mum today.. and the gal gave me some ganzia seeds to poke in the dirt some where....Never grew them from seed.

Peeled a few loofas

Russelia (aka Coral Plant or Firecracker plant). Gonna have to dig up it and keep it warm if you want to save it Peggy. It's tropical/sub tropical in nature (Zones 9-11).

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh well pooh! Guess I'll break out the shovel today. Cold morning tempts have already nipped back my mouse melon and I surely want to cut back the cannas before a hard frosts makes the cutting back icky.

My mums are starting to open. I dug up a big patch of Fire Chief when I was re-doing a bed and never got them back in the ground so they're blooming in the pots over in the nursery.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I whaacked my canna.. now I gues I need to de-pot them and store them.. Im thinking of chucking them in a trash back (Um, edited to say BAG>>> sorry Old Blossome has fat fingers...)

with pine woodshvings? Heck if I know what to do with them

This message was edited Nov 8, 2010 7:41 AM

How do you store Dahlia tubers for the winter? Even though they can be left in the ground down here, I've read several comments that they will probably do better if I dig them up. I dug one up and put it in an open box in one of the spare rooms. Should it be in something airtight or do they need good air circulation?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Um, been a long time since I have done dahlias.... I think I just put them in a box until the following season.. I dont recall, but I remember not having any luck on the next go round soooo... with that in mind....better get a second opinion.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Neighbors!!!

What a loverly day in the neighborhood.. must be in the high 70's.

Im doing marigolds.. They are finally getting dry! Gonna have booooocooooo seed

Howdy. It's warmer there than it is here. Clear and sunny 72 degrees today. A good 4-5 day string of sunny 70 degree days and 55-60 degree nights has many of the plants very happy about things, especially the petunias and pansies.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I just came in for a bite and to check mail and brag on the weather... need to get back out thar and enjoy. It would figure I would break down and call the LP guy to fill and the temps would stay nice! Pray it lasts lots longer! Getting the LP and using it are two different animals!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, this is tooo weird...

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/flowering-bulbs/fall-planted-bulbs/tulip-bulbs/tulip-ice-cream-prod001420.html

But I wil lsay GIMME! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Lilac Mum

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well Jon, kids, critters.... sure has been a long time since we played in here!

Grab a shovel, were gonna have to tunnel in. When we get the tunnel dug, I will post a new link...

Look for THE GLORIFIED POTTING SHED - GPS 2011 - and so it begins....

That is if I can get through the snow and link up!

I think I left the snowblower back at the Garage Cafe... eeks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.