My new petunias

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello everyone!!! I wanted to share with you all these beautiful petunias that I got at Home Depot about 4 days ago. I have no idea as to what category they belong. I do know that they are grown by Viva Gardens and their names. I've got a question though. Would they grow here as perennials or annuals?? I guess I will find out as the season progresses.
The fist one is Orange Zest

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Followed by Lemon Zest

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Then we've got Creme Brulee

This message was edited Nov 2, 2010 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And finally Rhythm and Blues

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Lastly a group shot. I haven't decided if I want them potted or in the ground. For now they are nicely potted and loving the spot that they are in.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great selection. You have to post more info in a few weeks of what you think. I like the Rhythm & Blues.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

So how are those petunias doing now? Pictures please.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh! I love that orange zest! Joanna, do you have petunia seeds started yet? When did/do you usually start yours? Yes, please, more pictures! I am anxious for spring and need them to cheer us up in the frozen north country, lol!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I usually start petunias from seed Mid February. We are currently about 16 weeks before our last average frost, so a bit early. I start my little greenhouse up in March (not enough natural light until then)

I work at a wholesale grower and we have already seeded the Wave petunias so they are ready for hanging baskets for Mothers Day.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I recall seeing these petunias at Home Depot in Ft Lauderdale off and on last winter and this winter. They are definitely annuals in our climate Roly. Typically they start struggling with the heat in April and completely die back by early May. You can get them to last a bit longer if they're in a container and you move it to morning only sun in April. Orange Zest and Creme Brulee are my favorites. They all have a mounding type habit. Love the colors of "Rhythm & Blues", but the blooms are very very small (half the size of all the others in the series).

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

The petunias are long gone. They started dying back a while back. I need full sun plants and these guys weren't really happy. I will get some more if they are available this fall.

I can relate to that. Some will bloom well all winter in South Florida and some get real leggy and seem to run out of energy. Sometimes those can be given a real hard prune back, but there are no guarantees they will look super great again.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Am I too late to plant Lasianthus and dianthus seeds ???

Dianthus would have been better to start in the fall. This is a great time to start Lisianthus seeds. Ironically I started some Lisianthus seeds last night. Right now is also a perfect time to start Rudbeckia seeds in South Florida. Others you could start now are Gaillardia, Salvia and some of the more typical stuff (marigolds, zinnias).

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Sounds good and I've got all of those seeds waiting. I'll need to expand the butterfly garden.

Perfect. I've had better germination results surface sewing all of the above mentioned, except for the zinnias and marigolds. Lisianthus germination and growing on has always been a struggle for me. I've had better results if I only bottom water the seeds/seedlings for the first 4-6 weeks. They grow soooooo slowly.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm working on a petunia presentation and just realized that some of the names sounded familiar. Those special packaged Home Depot petunias that are branded Viva are actually as follows:

Lemon Zest - Dummen Red Fox Surprize Lemon Zest

Orange Zest - Dummen Red Fox Surprize Orange Zest

Inc-Red-ble - Dummen Red Fox Surprize Red

Creme Brulee - Dummen Red Fox Potunia Cappuccino

Strawberry Zest - Dummen Red Fox Sweetunia Strawberry Ice

Rhythm + Blues - Ball Horticultural (new one this year. Not in a series)

All fabulous petunias. All vegetative propagation, so no seeds to try & buy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.