Dahlia seeds?

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I was surprised to find that several of my single dahlias had set seed. Tyler Wood, Alpen Diamond, and Delta Red all produced seeds, which of course I saved, being the seed junkie that I am. heh. Any ideas what I'll get if I try growing these?

My Dahlia coccinea also gave me seeds- I know that one comes true, but I have no idea what the other types will do.

Boise, ID

You'll get some nice new type of dahlia. I wish I had space in my yard to try and hybridize some new dahlias. The seeds I collected last year from "Sunshine" produced a plant but I didn't have it in a sunny enough spot because it's still tiny and I think I may have run out of time to see what type of flower I'm going to get from it.

Hmm.. well, I guess I'm just going to have to make room for a mystery dahlia nursery section. LOL how can I resist?

Next question: Would anybody here like to try some of these seeds? I have enough to share with several people. :)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Would dahlias bloom the first year when grown from seed?

Can't swear that these will, but the ones I have grown from commercial seed always have.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I would be interested in trying some seeds. I have some dahlias also that I have left the blooms on, and I am sure some of those have gone to seed. Maybe we can do a dahlia seed swap. I'll dmail you once I take a look at my plants.

I don't need any more seeds... I have so many different ones already- I'll never find room for all of them. hehe. Went a little crazy collecting ones I wanted to try, forgetting how small my garden really is. ;)

So just Dmail me your address, and I'll send you some of these. :)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

the1pony - just sent you a dmail. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.