Unfinished Projects Drain the Energy from Us

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Unfinished projects, we all have 'em. Maybe we could hold ourselves accountable in this thread by stating what projects we need to do and then later posting that we've done them and how we feel about them.

Some projects start out small, but the longer we procrastinate, the bigger they seem. They take on a life of their own, almost as if they have a vendetta against us. They rob us of our energy, creativity and joy in life.

How many times have you postponed a repair, only to be reminded daily that you need to do the repair? Doesn't it annoy you, that constant reminder that you haven't finished something?

Many times we spend more energy and time trying to find time to do the project/repair or trying to work around it than it actually takes to just do it. How much do these unfinished projects/repairs inconvenience us?

I know I have items piled up in my storage shed for projects I haven't gotten to. I keep moving these items around to get to something else I need. So I've begun working on the projects. For instance, today I installed some "gate stops"--little rods that you attach to the gate and then you can shove the rod in the ground wherever you want the gate to stay open. Now I don't have to find buckets or big rocks for "door stops" for my gates. I also fixed a couple of gates that I had trouble opening. Now they open with ease. No more having to walk all the way around the house to the other gate just to get out.

For about a year, I was frustrated by a broken hook on the back of my bathroom door, where I liked to hang my robe. It annoyed me daily. I spent more energy cursing that broken hook than it actually took to just replace it, which I've done recently. And it greatly pleases me to be able to hang my robe up again.

I also recently got around to finally sewing a button back on a blouse I haven't been able to wear for 6 months. Kept wanting to wear it, but oops, that stupid button had fallen off. Pulled it out of the closet several times only to put it right back in. After sitting down one night and spending two minutes to gather sewing materials and sew the darned thing back on, I felt such a sense of accomplishment! Now I can wear that blouse anytime I want.

I'm declaring this week as "Procrastinators' Just Do It" week. All procrastinators unite and just do it. Whatever your unfinished projects are, tackle them this week. Start with the smaller projects, quick fixes, that you can do quickly. As you see progress happening pretty quickly, it may give you the stamina to tackle the bigger projects later on. Make your to-do list tonight so you're ready to get started first thing in the morning. You'll be absolutely amazed at how much energy and creativity you'll have after getting these little annoyances out of the way. Watch your joy level rise as you can finally sit back and just enjoy your home and family without the reminders of something undone. You CAN do it! Post here when you have. We all want to share in your triumphs.

This thread has 194 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!