Surprising daytime visitor

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 6b)

I've seen them in the yard at night. I've seen them as roadkill. This is the first one I've ever seen digging for grubs in the daytime!

Thumbnail by chicochi3

Again

Oops! That's the same as the first one

This message was edited Nov 1, 2010 10:19 AM

Thumbnail by chicochi3

And one more

Thumbnail by chicochi3

One more image-the second one is the same as the first. This is a different one.

Thumbnail by chicochi3
Melbourne, FL

Strange to see one in the daylight. I have one living in a burrow under my Holly tree and it tears up the yard at night.

I have at least two burrows in out-of-the way places in my yard, but anything that's going to eat those JB grubs in my yard is welcome to do so. This is the first time I've ever seen one digging in the daytime. I usually just see the holes after they have dug all night.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Have you seen any reduction in Japanese Beetle activity since you 1st started to see these guys digging for grubs? I was just wondering because I have an exceptional collection of Japanese Beetles in my garden, too. For years now I've seen cone shaped holes in my backyard where either raccoons or opossums are digging for grubs, but I don't notice a reduction in adult beetles. I'm thinking additional adults just come from down the street to replace the ones that were eaten, but if you think the armadillo is making a difference, I might need to get me one of those.

Where do they sell the armadillos?

I think it is against the law to own an armadillo. I've had a reduction in JB's since I began to use traps about 5 years ago. This first couple years I set out four traps and was changing the bags on them every other day. This year and the past 2 years, six bags lasted all season. Set the traps out away from any plants that JB's like and they'll be attracted by the bait and fly away from your roses and over to the traps where they fall in and die. This doesn't end JB's entirely, but it definitely makes less of them. Believe me, and armadillo can't eat enough grubs to make a dent in the number of JB's.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I was having a silly moment and being facetious when I asked about buying one. I don't really think they would probably make good pets especially since I live in the city. I'm already in violation of the rules as I have 3 of the 2 pets I'm allowed by law. Actually, while I've not seen any armadillos around, I've heard that they have made it here and are beginning to show up on our local highways. I've also heard from people here at DG that they can be most destructive in the yard/garden, so I'm not looking forward to their arrival. I have enough to deal with the raccoons and opossums. If you told me they made a difference in the JB population, I figured I would at least have a reason not to dislike them too much.

Thanks for the info on those traps. I put one out one year, just one trap, and I actually did think it helped. I was afraid to use them because I keep reading (from the so called experts) that they attract more JBs from elsewhere than they trap and thus are not recommended, but like you I thought they did help in my yard, so much so that I went ahead and purchased more. Next year I'll try using multiple traps. Thanks. Oh, and you can keep the armadillo.

The armadillo is allowed to stay, but if he leaves I won't really miss him. Yes, the JB traps draw more beetles from far away. That is the point of putting the traps near things that the beetles don't like. Set out some traps and give it a couple of years and I do think you will see fewer beetles.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I am definitely going to do that, chicochi3. Thank you very much for the information. Hearing about your personal experience with them was most helpful in motivating me.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a really big Armadillo. I have them too the are like a plow in the garden, and they leave divets all over, but they can stay. : )

Vermilion, OH

the japanese beetle traps are baited with pheramones to attract them. they all get together to procreate!!!! so you'll have a healthy flock next year! then the new arrivals "text all of their friends" and the whole gang shows up. my understanding is the traps are designed to identify when to begin spraying the adult population of jb. you can treat your lawn organically for the grubs with "Bt" -- bacillis thurgensis (spelling????) or a more toxic grub-x. timing based on the life cycle of the critter is key to the method that is appropriate for that life cycle. your local extension office should be helpful for that.

the traps make great gifts for "unfriendly" type folks who live 1/4 mile down the road --- the jbs will hold their seasonal festivities in their yard instead of yours. you really don't want to put one in the middle of your garden though--- it's like rolling out the red carpet for them.

the jbs here tend to be more active/destructive when they are in the direct sunlight. even a rose appreciates a little shade and the knock out roses will take even more shade.

hope this helps

Yes, the traps are baited with pheromones, but when the beetles show up, they fall into the plastic bag where they die. They do not get a chance to procreate. Nor do they get a chance to "text all of their friends". They just fall into the bag and die. I know this from my own experience and from the number of full bags of Japanese beetles that I have to dispose of every summer. You are correct though about the fact that the JB's prefer to be in direct sunlight, so you will find more of them in direct sun, hardly ever in a shady location.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Walking in my back yard in almost hazardos as apparently I have moles or voles or something in great plenty burrowing for some (most likely) grubs. It is much worse than ever before. In previous years I might have a tunnel here and there, but never even imagined it could get this bad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.