November 2010

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Don't forget the clock turn backward on November 7 (Sunday)...

Sedum bloom...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rusty, we were wondering when Davlight Savings was. I heard Bush's DST change didn't have the productive outcome they had hoped for.

Oh, it was fun wearing that mask in the car! I even shone the flashlight on it for a police car! The policewoman/man probably thot, "Jason is on the way to kill someone or rob a liquor store"! Haha.. dunno.. the mask might not have even been visible at nite.

I have it set up here in the living room with my Fedora hat on it and it looks spooky! An aide has already said it scares her!

Happ, the Lowes in East Independence (by the Independence Center) has Plum and Pear trees for 50% off (a total of 9 or 10 trees it sounded like). I called them a few minutes ago to see what they had left. After the 50% off, they come to $10 apiece before tax. They must not be selling too fast, we just got the 2 Plums Friday and there wasn't a lot more then). Most shrubs and plants are 50% off, not just trees.
I hope you're red Rose vine is still going too!
Will

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Can't believe it is November already. Be careful everyone cause my old alarm clock doesn't know about the new time and it changed this weekend along with some other old stuff I have...rofl. Course maybe I am the only one with this old stuff...rofl.

Rose is doing good. I got all that area cleaned up, trimmed, and ready to dig in early spring and bring to you along with fishes if you are ready and even some pond plants if you need them.

Anybody been down by the union station this summer? By one of the walkways was the most beautiful bright red coleus, wellllllll, I took a little detour Friday and went by there and snapped off two pieces.....met two women on the walkway who promised not to tell...rofl. The coleus was huge and bright all summer even in this horrible heat we had. I am sure there is a sprinkler system but it sure was a tuff plant with all that concrete around it. Wish I would of taken a pic for you all.

Oh, that pond should/will be dug by Spring..lol I dug some on it yesterday to get dirt to put around some pots that I'm leaving out for the Winter. I'd gladly have some fishes. Just part with the not to valuable ones. Really, don't part with any nice ones. I need to kinda experiment with this pond the first year or so, it needs to also be somewhat of a rain-garden because of rain-water build-up in the driveway and surrounding areas.
Without this rain-garden, it would still be a muddy mess.
I don't expect there to be any chemicals washing into it or anything. But, the conditions of a rain-garden might not be sufficient for fish. But, would it ever be nice if we could keep fish happy in there along with a bunch of water-plants. We don't change the vehicle's oil around or anything, but never know I suppose. There could be too much pollutants or acid in rain-water perhaps. It wouldn't depend solely on rain-water, when it gets low in the Summer maybe, I'd keep it full with the hose.
This Winter tho, (when the ground isn't frozen ideally..lol), I'd like to get it entirely ready for Spring. It shouldn't be too hard, the majority of the pond is already dug. The keyword being majority..haha! I don't think it's deep enuff yet. And debris is always getting in there for me to shovel out. I haven't made any kind of screen yet, to keep the mud, sticks and debris from getting in there.

Happ, stealing cuttings from Union Station, shame on you! lol Just kidding, I've done that before too! Some of the public displays are simply incredible. I am planning 1 maybe 2 Coleus displays next year in old grape flats. They are the thin wood flats. I plan to line them with plastic and hope the flats don't break all apart before the Coleus has a chance to look good!

Here is one (below) of the 2 Plum trees we got Friday.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Been busy here the last few days. Saturday I dressed up at work for Halloween as the Wicked Witch of the West and it was a huge sucess. lol. It helps that my hat was animated and sang Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. lol. People loved it. After work I had to rush home and get the make up off and change into super warm clothes because in East Lynne, Kansas, outside of Garden City, we went to a mud run at Little Dixie. Last one of the season. Lots of fun since I knew several people who were running but very cold!!! I managed not to get mud on me til almost the end. Then I got a clump of mud in my hair. lol. I had to come home and take a shower to get the mud out. There was enough mud to change the color of the tub. lol.

Been working and just trying to keep up with everything that is going on around here. Sometimes I think I'm gonna fall behind!! LOL!!

Oh, and if any of you are near Warrensburg, MO or will be in the area next weekend, a former art teacher of mine is opening his artist co-op again. He only has it open twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. There are all kinds of handmade stuff there for sale and plenty of homemade food. The food is excellent!! I get several types of bread everytime plus other stuff. It changes everytime. It's even worth making a trip for if you like antique hunting and like buying stuff that has been repurposed.

Here is their website: www.hazelhillmercantile.com

Does anyone want some cannas? I have what should be Tropicanna and I have 2 big boxes full thanks to a friend today. lol. I need to get rid of a box full for sure and the other box full I'll worry about this upcoming spring. They are big rhizomes too!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I feel like a wimp, but I don't care. We've had heaters on for quite a while now. They might not run on the warmest days, but they run at night!

Happ, better to let them go. It's sad. but I hope the scale froze too! Wow, fantastic news for your Mom!!

Will, ROTFL over the cat taking a swing at you!! They have your number! I love my e-drive! I did make sure our new computers were all about storage space because all the pictures are on it too. Oooh, those are pretty cuttings! Will they go along the fence row or dot around the yard?

Plums shouldn't get too tall and semi dwarf is good!

ROTFL over the mask! How fun is that? Just don't forget to take it off, ha-ha.

Ima, wonderful!! Were there a lot more down? I picked up 20 myself. What a wonderful evening bonfire! I'll bet it was good chili too! I have all the fixings for a huge pot and I'm going to try canning it.

That sure takes all the fun out of Halloween. Since another town had their Trick or Treating a night earlier than ours, we had close to 70 kids. I almost ran out of candy. Most of the girls had adorable princess or fairy costumes and the boys were gruesome! I loved it!

Happ, you have a nice start on fruit. The fig produces? Lucky you!

Rusty, thanks for the new thread and a beautiful Sedum!

Will, luckily the cops didn't decide to follow you around :o)

Happ, I have a stupid clock too. Atomic, so how does it get it wrong? I would have snapped off the coleus too!! I love opportunities like that!

Will, your pond has a plan and that's half the work. It's going to be really neat when it's finished. Sometimes I dig with a potato fork just to miss rocks and pottery in a bad spot. If it's down to clay it would work pretty good.

Nice trunk on the plum!

Pepper, ROTFL!! You would be so much fun to hang with!!! Laughing over the mud too! I wish I had room to store canna bulbs, but I don't.

Well, it's been busy. Yesterday morning we did chores for DD. I wore thermals but was cold anyway. Then we came home and cleaned up so we could go to a birthday party for my elderly relative. She just turned 89 and is healthier than me! I had a good time seeing everyone!

Today we're going to a silent auction at the Cathlic hall. We won't buy anything except dinner. YUM! DH's Aunt and Uncle do the auction, so it's another sort of family ''reunion.''

Tuesday, I'm helping DD organize her papers and clear some space. Long overdo!

Boy Pepper I would love to have some of those cannas. Tropicanna is a really nice one.
Ok guys I have been playing in concrete, I was gonna cast a stepping stone but decided since I had a pumpkin (gourd) I would try the bird bath thing that was in Garden Gate and I think on DG. Jus unveiled it today, had a devil of a time getting that pumpkin out. Notes to self, put pam on the pumpkin before putting in concrete and put leaves all over the top and remember to put the concrete dye in and not forget it.

We never have trick or treaters. I just love them. We usually go with our DGD but DH bought a long wood stove and we had to get it moved from Ks about 60 miles away and back. We had to haul the tractor cause there was no way to pick it up and the guy didn't have a tractor. So maybe DH can keep the chill off in his building, it won't heat it cause the building isn't insulated but if it can just keep him above freezing he thinks he could still play out there. Not me I like heat. I can live without air (maybe not this summer) but most of the time, but I want heat....

Don't like the time falling back, it will be dark when I get off now.....so sad. Well off to the lumber yard 20 miles away cause ours is only open until 11 on Saturday, wonder why they lose business to the city.....hummmm?

Billy that fig tree produces constantly. It is really nice. A bunch dropped off when I moved it indoors but alot didn't. Ever tasted a fresh fig? I wanna taste a fresh banana before I die, not one that has been gassed. You know tomatoes are sooo much better fresh, pineapples in hawaii so much better, so I am guessing it is the same for bananas.

Really windy today.

Here is a pic of my birdbath, I will stain it once it gets dried.

Thumbnail by happgarden

I love your bird bath Happ!! Send me a dmail with your addy and I will get them sent out when I can. Hopefully before it freezes again. lol.

Off to the Zac Brown Band concert tonight. It's gonna be good. Only bad thing is location-Sprint Center. Not enough feet room. lol.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Happ! I love the birdbath! You did good! Really good!

I hope the stove does the trick. It sounds nice! A lot of trouble to get it, but once it's home it's alll forgotten.

I feel for you having to drive home in the dark.

I'll bet you're right about all the fruit tasting better. I've never had a fresh fig, just dried ones, and they're pretty good.

Pepper, have a good time tonight.

I had a wonderful time today and bid on something for the first time in my life. I bought an angel!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Pepper sent you my addr, hope your concert was really good. The Sprint Center is a pain for us down here that work and then have to drive north, especially when it is a BIG concert going on. Traffic will be awful and everyone is looking for cheap parking which there is none..rofl, so they drive around in circle.s
Billy that is a beautiful angel.
Thank you for comments on the bird bath. DH is buying me two more bags of concrete today. I want to make my sister one for Christmas. Using a pumpkin does have it's draw backs cause they will all have to be made in the fall...rofl. Other draw back is it takes 60lbs of concrete, which means it weighs 60lbs.....

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Happ - Love the birdbath! Did you post the pic on the Garden Art forum? I'm sure they would love to see it.

Billy - I picked up about 9-10. There were more on the other side of the fence, though. :-) I have canned chili before. It can be done! LOL

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of my Oakleaf Hydrangea back-lit by the sun this morning. I love Fall!

Thumbnail by ImaMes

The concert was great!!! Traffic wasn't bad and we found cheap parking. Big Sky parking garage, across from Sprint Center and behind the Big Sky restaurant, was $2 to park. We parked somewhere else for free and we park there all the time but next time I might park at Big Sky. lol

All together there were 2 bands and a fiddle player playing last night. Casey Driessen was the fiddle player and I'm gonna look up his music and download a couple songs. He was really good!!! The other guest band was The Woods Brothers. My friends and I weren't real impressed with them. Then of course the Zac Brown Band. lol. They were great and I hope I get to see them play again sometime. Worth every penny for the concert!!

Ima, the hydranga looks great!!! Love the fall color on it!!

Oh, I also got home around 11:30pm and had to be up at 6am this morning for work. LOL. I am really tired today!! lol

Ima, I did think to post it on that forum. I am going to post the instructions tomorrow for someone. Beautiful pic of that red.

Pepper glad you had a great time.....and found a really cheap place to park, good for you. I know about getting up at 4 to be at work by 6! That is kind of normal for me, but I don't usually get to leave on time.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Billy - Lovely angel figurine.

Will - Looking forward to seeing photos as your pond progresses.

Pepper - Glad you enjoyed the concert. I like fiddle music, too. Haven't heard of Casey Driessen... I'll have to look him up. Hope you got extra rest last night. :-)

Happ - Thanks, I was there at just the right moment to catch the sun shining through it. Glad you're posting the instructions for the bird bath. I'll have to look them up. I must have missed it in Garden Gate.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

A last hurrah for my blue Lobelia.... I had already cut the plant down for the winter, then this little guy showed up.

Thumbnail by ImaMes

Oh what a nice picture of something blooming and green. I am so thankful for these great days we are having. I so don't want winter! Oh well.

Ima I got the directions posted for the bird bath, hope they make sense.....yell if you have any questions. It is really easy, you just don't know how it is going to turn out.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, laughing, I thought about the weight, but had no idea it was THAT heavy! It will be a wonderful gift tho! Actually, anything that could be covered in concrete would make the possibilities endless!

Ima, that's still a good haul of hedge balls. I know there's poison ivy in the woods, so I myself didn't go in!! Good to know about the chili! I can just taste it! Your Hydrangea so beautiful! I really look forward to this one growing up! It might peek around the side of the garage when it's full grown, and catch some setting sun. At least it did turn color this fall!

Pepper, ROTFL over your successful night after reading Happ's tale of woe. I'm glad you really enjoyed the night! Oh, am I smiling over your late night and early morning :o)

Thanks Ima, one last lobelia. How beautiful! I had a late spurt with mine, but even that was last month!

I have manure to spread today and hopefully we'll get some Christmas lights up. It makes snow easier to ''swallow'' if there's a good reason for it :o)

We are getting cabinets installed, so everything is a mess.
They should arrive I figure right after Thanksgiving...rofl. Stove is in the garage, frig is out in the dining room......if anyone breaks in at night they will kill themselves walking around in the dark....so I guess there is a good side to everything.

Boy Billy I need to be more like you and get some stuff done outdoors at least. I am so bad about not fertilizing things like I should.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, lucky you even tho your kitchen is all torn apart. Any time something gets moved here I'm muscling my way in with a broom or vacume cleaner :o)

Smiling, I had to do it. I dug the calla lilies I was just going to cold heartedly let go. And, I washed most of the outside windows, and hung clothes out, and spread the manure.

But, I don't have a job, so anything you guys accomplish is much more than I do. Well, we're out to hang some Christmas lights.

Manure on two asparagus beds.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Finished siding DD house today.
Been a long project!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Well, last night my phone once again landed in the toilet and is now sitting in a bowl of rice. I did have it in a baggie with my dry aid for my hearing aids but it didn't dry out all the way so now I have it in rice. I'm getting a rubber cover for it after this so it will stay in the stupid pocket. lol. Worst thing is I can't find my old phone so am completely without a phone. Grrrr.....

Bernie, I thought for a minute I was on the weather thread so started typing up my weather. LOL. Great job on your DD's house!! Looks great!!!

My brother dressed up his dog, Gracie Mae, for halloween this year. I hope it doesn't show up sideways. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper, rofl.....at first it was a little distrubing to think your phone was first in the toliet and then in your rice, til I figured out you had it in rice to try to dry it out...rofl.....I am a sick human....rofl. That really is too bad. I have never done that, but have washed it more than once.

CountryGardens, that looks like an unbelievable tast to me...wowzer! I felt like I accomplished something when I painted the storage shed...rofl. Congrats it looks great. Probably help alot keeping things warm.

BillyPorter, you get alot done, and your gardens are so pretty. I would say you have more than plenty to do without a 'job'. The job is my good excuse for not getting things done.

Did we lose shortleaf?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ret. St Yates made a very nice site honoring the troops. Please check it out.

http://cubits.org/OutdoorSurvivalSkill/forums/view/tributetoalltroopsth/

Bernie, she has a really cute house and it looks great!

Oh Pepper, if it wasn't such a terrible thing, it would be funny. I have a coat pocket that things fall out of all the time. Grrr. I need to sew in a snap, but can't seem to remember to do it. I hope it dries out! Awww is she a Ladybug?

Happ, the rice threw me for a minute too, so I guess we're both a little goofy! I'm with you on the small accomplishnments, LOL! DH and I did do our house in vinyl siding, but that was years ago!

I was wondering where he was too, but we all get busy off and on.

Well, my phone kinda works but it won't shut off and won't fully charge. So I'm going to the phone place tomorrow to talk to the people there. Most likely will have to buy a new phone outright since it's water damage but will see what they say.

LOL on the rice. We used instant rice and mom's thinking it may have been the wrong rice to use. Since my phone is now screwy I may have to agree. lol

Yep, Gracie was a ladybug. The costume didn't bother her at all either. lol

He may have started his new job. Didn't Will say he had a new job?

Well I remember Will saying something about losing his DG account in a couple of weeks. Hope he gets to come back on.

DH better get with it. The cabinet makers have our kitchen cabinets ready to go in but waiting on DH to get the floor done before they can install them. Then after they are install we have to stain and varnish them all before Thanksgiving, or we are all going out....rofl.

Haha! A new job?! Something about a job, but nothing like that unfortunately.
I recently went from a 6 day workweek to a 1.5 day workweek, that started about 3 weeks ago. The financially bumming part is starting to take hold! Everything is fine though, my wellbeing isn't in jeopardy or anything, I've managed to save enuff to get by for a year or so.
Thanks you guys for noticing I been away, just been busy. Oh billyp, my cat loved to swing at me on occasion. When I'd be doing busywork in the house or something, I guess she felt like I wasn't paying her enuff attention! I got this old photo from a long time ago of Allyson sitting on top of the microwave which was on top of the refrigerator.
Nice angel, billyp.
I'm thinking those Hibiscus 'Red Shield' starts from Pepper, (if I successfully get them started.lol), would go good in my proposed tropical spot!
Thats an attractive Hydrangea and Lobelia, Ima, I love Fall too, but not the raking!
This time of year is always nice. Sure Ima, I'd love to post photos of the raingarden/waterpond as it comes along.
Nice work on the birdbath, happ, the birds are going to love you!
I never thought of doing that, very interesting. Yeow 60 lbs?! My back hurts just from hearing that! With the water too! Oh yeah, thats a team lift there! I've got 6 or 8 of those 60 lb. sacks of concrete waiting myself, oh joy! Altho, I'll take a 60 lb. bag over an 80 lb. bag anyday! lol
Nice siding job CountryGardens, not an easy job, it took precision I'm sure, it came out nice. Now they just need some landscaping, I think I'd try a couple spires, one on either side of the porch for sure, something hardy in Minn., maybe
Thuja Occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire' http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2155/search.php?landscape_use=21 . Okay, thats what I want! Its okay to dream isn't it?! I better work on the house part first.. lol
Ack! Dressing up a ladybug dog! A friend of mine dropped her phone in a cup of coffee and didn't notice it in there for an hour, but she let it dry for days and about 2 weeks later it was working normally again.
I think I'm gonna take up woodworking. I'm going to make my own kitchen cabinets someday I tell you! Seriously, I'm gonna start with planter boxes and obelisk planters and stuff.
The elderly lady in there was just yelling again. She wanted something to drink, she doesn't know what time it is. I'm always polite with her, I hate to be so seemingly callous with her, she doesn't need a real reason to be nasty, but her drinking fluids at nite is causing her to have accidents at nite. The morning aide has been doing laundry every day for a while because the disabled lady goes in the bed. A plumber is coming again tomorrow to unclog the drain in the laundry room, and the other one down there thats connected to it. I'm pretty sure its because laundry is being done so frequent. I shoveled up about 2 lbs of lint (thats washing up) from around the laundry room drain tonite in preparation for the plumber to come. She gets plenty of fluids during the day, she wouldn't dehydrate.
The other nite I went in there about 4am when she was yelling and she says, "where are you at, hiding behind that box you s.o.b?!" Its hard not to laugh, she must really feel bad inside. I hope I can ward off dementia when I'm her age, it can't be any fun to the person that has it.
For an elderly blind lady she can be quite nasty! Keep in mind, that she is hallucinating, there is no box. She gets very imaginative a lot. Just since I've been writing this she has yelled for her daughter about 8 times. Her daughter is fast asleep and has been since she got home from work, because the nite before she had her up much of the nite yelling.
Oh well, what to do, I'll be there myself maybe someday! : ) Sorry the post is so long, but I am making up for the lost days!

Hi happ, thanks, no it's not canceled yet, I got about 5 weeks or so before the 2 mo. "Angel Fund" subscription runs out. After that I'll have to evaluate, I love DG, I can go on and on about stuff! : )
Will

This message was edited Nov 11, 2010 10:46 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I'm sure you will have to have a new phone. What a bummer! Time to put a snap on the pocket if you can. I'm thinking your phone had two dunkings too many :o)

Gracie is such a doll!

Happ, I hope you get it done. Are you having Thanksgiving at your house? We are. DD doesn't have room. At home, we always had it at our house. Mom's old table has about 10 boards to insert to make it long. We had at least 24 people while my cousins were all at home. She only had one sister and brother. There were 13 kids. Later, came a few Grandkids of my Aunt. It was a wonderful time!

WILL, we were just talking about you, LOL! I deleted my ''hope you found a job and wishing the Angel Fund was a year instead of a couple of months jabber.'' I thought it was to be a year, but maybe that was the old ways. It's a shame to have to dip into your savings. I hope something part time comes up.

Thanks. I love that angel!

Yeah, 80# is a big difference. It's all I can do to lift a 50# bag of sunflower seeds.

I love my arborvitaes! I have four Emerald. They will be 15' tall and only 2' wide. We tie them from the inside so ice and snow don't weight them down. They have nice pointed tops and eventually the jute on the lower stems break away. I got them because the neighbor's security light seems to be pointed at our driveway.

Will, be glad she has an aide to deal with this. It would be hard not to laugh, but that is so much better than being angry at her. Laughter can be a form of tolerence and caring. I'm not sure she has any real feelings when she yells. The brain just takes over. Thank goodness she isn't scared!

Love Allyson sitting on her throne! She was a big cat!

I'm going to be simmering a stew pot of chicken today. YUM YUM!!

My arborvitaes in 2009. The security light is between the middle ones. Not completely covered yet, but getting there.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Don't your cabinet makers stain & varnish before installation. That's what we do to get a super finish. We have a room just for finishing. Finishes are sprayed on.

Colder today. We are working on the chicken house. Making more room for our babies.
They sure do grow fast!

I went by the phone store today and the lady said to stick a fan on it for a few days and see if that helps. She's ordering batteries for me so I can see if the problem's with the battery or the phone itself. It works but doesn't want to charge so now it's on it's last bar. If I knew someone who could rebuild it I would have that done but I don't think even my techie cousins could rebuild it right. LOL

Will, great to see you back!! I need to renew my subscription too but I always dwaddle. I hate paying it but don't want to leave the site yet. LOL. I have a love hate relationship with this site. LOL

I hope everyone is getting ready for snow in the near future. We have a chance of a wintery mix around here on Weds. It's already slushing in Omaha and Des Moines is supposed to get hit also.

I went to an artist co-op today and ended up using my 4 wheel drive because it's out in the middle of nowhere. I backed into a muddy area and couldn't get out. It was just too slick. I wasn't in soft mud where I would have sunk, I got out and made sure. LOL. It was an experience driving down there in the hard rain on slick muddy roads and an experience coming home. I'm so glad I'm home for the night!! LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, a room just to spray on finishes. That is luxury! I'll bet the cabinets ARE gorgeous!
Don't chickens just turn into adults overnight? Is your hen house heated or just insulated? DD's is just insulated, so the chickens slow way down in laying over the winter. She also keeps a light burning all night to keep the pecking down.

Pepper, running a fan for a few days. What a pain with no guarantee. I would dry clothes and then stick in in the dryer when they are done. It's pretty good heat leftover, if you don't have a cool down.

Since I write a check, I've learned not to dawdle when it's time to renew. I can't leave here. Too many good friends and it's still the same. Just no ''real'' owner interacting and joining the threads.

Just rain, windy, and temps falling all day here. I think it's going to be a good day to veg in the house.

Pepper, I smile over your driving story!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have heat lamps in where the babies are & also an electric heater. It is insulated also.
We have 5 hens left for the winter eggs. 1 is older & don't lay every day. We get 4 or 5 eggs daily. There area is not insulated, but they do just fine.

I wouldn't miss paying my subscription! After attending so many Round Ups & meeting cyber friends personally, I would never leave. I waste $20 without even thinking on a regular basis.
I am good friends with Melody & have met Terry. Both great gals & they do all the hard work on this site.
All the flowers I have that have come from trades with DG members make it well worth the piddly amount to belong here.

Have a great day!
Bernie

Bernie, I agree I think I get alot for the subscription to DG. I get all of you and where else would that ever happen.....?

Sure out cabinet makers would do it all, if it wasn't for my DH. Seeing that we stained and varnished every oak board in this house, trim, doors, windows, including a valted ceiling the cabinets will be nothing....LOL DH made our bar and it turned out beautiful, he just hates woodwork so decided to have someone do that and he will do the rest. Sides we can save a 1.98..rofl.

Thanksgiving at my house remains to be seen at this point. Usually DH's son and family comes over the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day they go to the DDIL's family which is fine, I usually take my Mom over to my cousins house (there are 6 girls and 1 boy) we have always been really close and so many people, it is wonderful.

I made a whirl wind trip to OKCity Thursday at noon, worked there until 8:30, got back up at 6 worked there until noon and left back for KC in a downpour that lasted 6 long hours on the road. I got on i-40 just left the office in wall to wall traffic when the truck in front of me spun out and hit the guard rail. I am here to tell you I thought it was all over, I came to a halt just inches from the drivers door. I could see his eyeballs. I just knew the traffic behind me was going to hit me and cause me to slam into the side of him. But the angels were awake and really busy because 4 lanes of interstate traffice came to a hault, cars every direction but straight and I don't think anyone hit anyone else. It was amazing. Saw 6 more accidents on my way home. I finally get to Smithville and think ok I have made it only to find 169 highway shut down north of Smithville due to another accident and the police routed out along these nice muddy gravel roads....it was a trip from down there...rofl. I have driven that route a million times, winter, spring, summer, and fall and have never seen anything like this before. I was exhausted when I got home.

Went to a craft fair and picked up a few Christmas things......felt good to be out with friends.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, it sounds like you will get plenty of eggs for the two of you with an extra carton here and there to share.

I need to cook some leftover chicken breasts for orange chicken (speaking of the devils :o) and make swiss steak out of an arm roast. Tangy hits the spot about now!

Have a great evening!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Happ....... If I read it again I will burst out laughing. How can so much happen is such a short time and you live to shop and hang out with friends. Oh my!! I am so glad you made it home!!

I am sooo glad I wasn't in that mess!! LOL. The so called gravel roads were bad enough! lol

My mom made it down there to the co-op but she was ready to kill me when I got home. She said the roads were a mess, hunters were everywhere, a mother let a little kid steer their suburban and he came close to hitting them, the barn was so full of people that Wyatt only saw butts everywhere and they had to walk quite a ways to get there due to all the people. LOL. But she got my bread which is what counts. LOL. And got to see my former art teacher. He looks more and more like a hippie every year. LOL

Here are the 2 cactus I got from Will a couple years ago. I need to repot the prickly pear but don't wanna mess with the thorns. LOL.

Thumbnail by pepper23

You know when you start a trip like that it makes the next 5 and 1/2 hours kind of tough! LOL, I never got sleepy...rofl.

The church craft fair is pretty interesting. Most of the stuff is handmade and then you reach a section where there is Avon, Tupperware, siding company, you name it. Kind of odd but oh well. I wish sometimes I wore jewlery cause they had some beautiful stuff. I do wear jewlery I have just figured out I am too lazy to change it. Probably has something to do with getting up at 4am...LOL

I have brugmansia's blooming all over the place. They smell so wonderful.

Pepper I read you transplant a cactus by folding newspaper around the cactus and holding onto the cactus.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I am helplessly rolling on the floor now! Poor Wyatt! That had to be miserable and your poor MOM! But she got the bread!!!! ROTFL again!!

Art and construction people get to be the hippies. Everyone else has to look presentable. I have noticed mop headed kids in commercials all of a sudden, so I think we're swinging back to the 70's. Yayyy! I get to be young again!! (I'll have to dust off my albums :o)

Prickly is right! Nice size tho!

Happ, I can't believe you weren't exhausted! I can only wear nickle free jewelry, so I just look at ll of Mom's necklaces. I didn't know Brugs were fragrant. Cool!

I cut up the chicken breasts I held back from making chicken broth, and have them marinating in orange sauce. We love orange chicken and I just found a good recipe. So, we will have it more often. I also keep a bag of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer for meals like that too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.