Giving Thanks for November Blooms!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I have only a few violets now, so when Rob's Loose Noodle keeps putting out massive amounts of blooms, I am very grateful! What is blooming for you?

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Miss Jan,your violet is very pretty! I don't have a gessie blooming but I have a pretty flower blooming outside ^_^

Jan

Thumbnail by jannich
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Violet Jan (Phoebe).

Love that plant Jan.What is it??

Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I can't beat those pics, Ladies. Gorgeous as usual :) I am so happy I can share some this month. I was so sick over losing my streps this summer and didn't know how bad I missed them until I got some new ones. Here is Bristol Party Girl.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Neil's Martha May

Thumbnail by aspenjocop
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

How about Neil's Alabama :)

Thumbnail by aspenjocop
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

And one more I am very proud of....Mighty Mouse. She is doing so well, Bonnie. Thanks so much :)

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

Those are such beauties Connie!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes--especially Mighty Mouse!
Hi Jan! Love your ? flowering Maple?

South, TX

Lovely blooms!

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Very pretty Connie,I happen to love N.Alabama...LOL.

Hi Lynn and Jan,That plant is called a Confederate Rose.The flowers start out white, then turn light pink, then dark pink.So I can have all 3 colors opened on the bush at the same time.To cool.They remind me of a peony flower (which I can't grow here,darn it).I'll be taking cuttings in a few weeks if anyone wants some.They root in water.I've seen them growing in pots around town if your winters are to cold.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/

Jan

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Jan, I have a huge one!!! Every winter it dies back to the ground, comes back every spring, bigger and better!! Just love it!

Harmony's Pinkstone

Thumbnail by meag848
Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Opt. Millieuim (sp?)

Thumbnail by meag848
Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Blue Dragon

Thumbnail by meag848

Oh what beautiful violets!! ^_^

We can grow some Hibiscus here,but that kind has to wintered indoors.Very pretty!!

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, let's see if I can add to the eye candy . . . please ignore brown edged leaves, dried blooms, and any dust . . .

Pink Cloud

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

F. Shannon

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Shirl's Peachy Pink

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Spiritual Corridor

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Senk's Fantasy Wasp

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Northern Attitude

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Chirita Tamiana . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Purple Panda

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Gorgeous!! I don't know which I like most...but F.Shannon is calling me and the AVs of course.Spiritual Corridor has always been a fave...it's such a reliable bloomer and very striking.

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Frozen In Time

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Playful Spectrum

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Lynn. I have always struggled with too much light on my stands, and have finally removed a shelf, and things are starting to look better already. The streps went thru a phase . . . ok, I went thru a phase . . . where I forgot to water them consistently. That's why you may see pale leaves. If you see a bronze color around some strep leaves of mine, that was because they were too close to the light. I am hoping to sell alot of plants this weekend, so I will have more space for baby plants.

Natchurly Nawlins

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Jolly Mars, I think . . . I'll have to check the pot again . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Smooch Me

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Buds on L'Ambassadeur . . . these will be the first blooms since I received them from Travis Violets

Thumbnail by Syrumani

They look great to me.I went through a phase or something too and let things get too dry,over-watered others,etc.Then I treated for bugs....when I didn't even see any,but I panicked a little...well maybe a lot LOL.
I lost a ton of things,but maybe that's okay.During fall months and early winter I am so busy I shouldn't have so many plants.In spite of being told by many good growers here and on FWG,I still fail with wicking,but I am going to try again.Connie and Bonnie are two of the people trying to guide me through it right now.And their plants look great!!

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm switching over slowly to wicking too. There was a time a few months ago where I took a few plants to the club meeting, and our club president said "it could be mites, it could be too much light. Go home and spray for mites, just in case." Well, I got to thinking . . . the centers are tight on some - extremely so . . . but they were not gray-ish like mites would leave them. I took 2 of the most worrisome plants to the county extention office. He said he didn't see mite damage, just light damage. He said that if I were to spray for gnats (which I do have), to use Safer insecticidal spray soap. You know . . . of all the nurseries in town, some had the concentrate, but not the ready-to-spray. I don't have enough plants to make it worth mixing up spray each time, so I went and ordered some from Amazon.com. It has seaweed extract too, so that's even better.

South, TX

I wicked for a while. My plants did ok, but they like being watered from the top better. It's nice to try new things though.

Ann Arbor, MI

No kidding -- eye candy! Good job everyone. We seem to have a parade of streps going, and I have gone a bit strep crazy right now. They are so gorgeous and just seem to bloom and bloom and bloom. Here's one I'm particularly in love with right now -- Fashion Statement.

wiggiej

PS: Good to see some "new" old faces back. I was under the weather for a bit and things just completely lit up this week. Good job helene -- you seem to have "kick started" things.

PPS: Sorry 'bout the copyright notice on my pics-- I trust you all, but these pics get indexed by Google and I keep finding my shots being used by eBay vendors. :< The stupid thing is I'd be happy to let them use them -- it just really irks me when someone else to claims it's their picture!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2010 11:55 PM

Thumbnail by wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

Here's another. First bloom for av yoki, but it really doesn't look like pictures I've seen. Anyone familiar with this one?

Thumbnail by wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

This one I got from Maria (carpathiangirl) -- thanks Maria for introducing me to these little guys -- they are really fun! It's been blooming for weeks.

Sinningia 'Mighty Mouse'

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 5:19 AM

Thumbnail by wiggiej
South, TX

Wiggie, I hope you are better after being under

the weather. Your blooms are darling.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, so I'm going thru my rooted African Violet leaf cups, getting them packed up for the state show in a few days. I know there are a few un-registered varieties in there, but this one is interesting. It is labeled as Victorian Ruffles. Half the babies seem to be variegated white, the other a dark pink. But . . . check out the leaf just off to the right, under the mama leaf!

Has anyone seen or heard of a Victorian Ruffles before? LLG has alot of "Victorian" plants, so I'm wondering if this is one they chose not to name . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

wigglej,
Your plants are gorgeous!!

Nichole,
I kind of had the same problem with my plants,Tight centers,but no gray and no hairy look.I didn't find bugs even with a jewelers loupe.I used Safer on some of them.It works well,but it said odorless and it had a very strong lingering odor.Is that normal?

Lynn

Jan,
I don't think that plant could be Yoki.It doesn't really resemble it at all IMHO.Maybe Yokohama?

Wow,Nichole,that is strange!! Pretty though.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 12:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.