The end, for now.

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

We're dipping down around 34F today. My outdoor coleus might be goners for the year. I'm to exhausted to make cuttings of the ones that didn't make it. It's not like I'm likely to refrain from ordering from Rosy Dawn or Gebhart's anyway come spring.

I don't know what makes me sadder- watching some beautiful coleus bite the dust all at once overnight, or the thought of having to clean their remains from all over the yard. their ghosts ain't pretty.

It wasn't the greatest year for coleus with our weather (and my neglect). but I had some beauties this year.

Joy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

No one I know can keep-up with the garden and a growing family, and how many are you now?
I have decided to get on with life and will try to start a tour business on Lake Okeechobee.
I will keep my house in Jax and see how it goes.
I don't know if I can find a garden-able spot to park my motor home at down there.
I hope so, but really want to spend a good year working on the business.
I think I will put an ad on Craig's list for someone with a greenhouse to take all my plants.
I may hang on to a limited #, say 5.
Sidney

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sidney, that sounds exciting and scary at the same time. Good luck and best wishes from Las Vegas. Sharon.

Blackshear, GA

Sugarweed,
What all do you have? I have a GH and probably could find room for them, maybe just babysit them for you.

I have about 30 or more different coleus, but could narrow that down.
I also have several Brugs in pots that could be loved over the winter.
I may be able to take the Brugs and some coleus.
Thanks Ga.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

You could come to Vegas. Our temps are in low 80s. I have never grown a Brug but my coleus love it here. This photo was taken Friday.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Springdale, UT

I was in Vegas Sunday...... Coleus hunting ; ) Found some fun cuttings at Paris and Bellagio.

I'm going to Okeechobee Thursday and will try to find a spot for my motor home and boat.
It's much warmer there and I may be able to take several Coleus and Brugs with me.
I am starting an
endeavor with hopes of giving tours of the Audubon Sanctuary on Lake Okeechobee.
I am doing this on a 26' electric solar pontoon. The canopy has 4 solar panels and 19 batteries.
I will also do any kind of spin on the water that is reasonable. Fish, bridge games, haunted tours, small meetings or clubs.
This is just a description of what I'm doing, not an advertisement.
Sharon, I believe I still have viable cutting stock if you want some cuttings.
You too Dragon Man LV.
Send me a d-mail

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Where is everyone? Its so quiet here I am getting lonely.LOL
Sugar good luck
Lavina

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Maybe we're all waiting until February when we get more sunshine and more growth on whatever remaining coleuses we have. Some of mine are doing very well but many were discarded in the last week due to the evil mealybugs.

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hi lavina! don't be lonely. although it is lonely without coleus chatter posts...

pirl, mealybugs are the devil, aren't they. so far they haven't plagued my overwintered coleus like they did last year... knock on wood...

sugar, you're making me want to go to FL...

gotta get to bed. a bright and early day tomorrow!

take care all,

joy

Danville, IN

For mealybugs, apply a systemic to your potted coleus now to keep them away all winter. The systemic usually lasts 3 months, so that should get your plants through the doldrums of winter. You can get liquid or granular systemics that are designed for indoor plants. I overwinter dozens every year with no sign of mealybugs or white flies. Good luck!

What is the name of the liquid?

Danville, IN

I use Bayer 12-month Shrub and Tree Insect Control. (It's in a blue bottle as all Bayer products are.)They sell it at the big box stores, 40 oz. for around $20. It will last you a long time as the dosage is measured in teaspoons (mixed with water) per pot. Up until this year, there weren't any instructions for use on potted houseplants, but now there are. I learned from a fellow DG'ner that it worked wonders on houseplants. The active ingredient is derived from nicotine, and I've seen it used on pesticides labeled organic. It was originally meant for outdoor plants.

The great thing is that it is meant to be effective for 12 months. I find that since indoor potted plants are watered so much and they add new growth almost continuously that the effectiveness lasts for about 5 or 6 months instead of a whole year. Outdoors, it works for a year though, since trees and shrubs take it up systemically and have only one big growth spurt per year.

It's so nice to not have to worry about mealybugs and white flies. It works great on scale, too!

Aha! Now I remember that I had asked about it a few months ago and I did buy it while we were on vacation on Cape Cod. Thanks so much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.