Seed pod question

Lindenhurst, NY

HI, i just opened up a seed pod, and didn't think there would be big healthy seeds in it since all the others i've been opening off another plant had no seeds in it.

So, it is definitely not ripe, maybe 4 wks old? And the big seeds inside are white....any chance they can ripen and be viable?

I have another pod on same cutting (i'm cutting back to take in for winter in basement) that i didn't pop open -- what can i do to get this one to ripen? Will it continue to ripen even though i cut it off the mother plant?

thanks

Thumbnail by maureenpm00
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm going to say no, if the pod doesn't ripen on the plant then i'm pretty sure the seeds wont grow..
jen

Lindenhurst, NY

oh how disappointing ;-(
Thanks for answering. I think i knew the answer but wasn't postive.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

That is really young to take them off. How big were the seeds? If they were large, then I have heard that you can put the pod in a shot glass with a tiny bit of water and try to finish it that way. But prolly not if it is too young... Change the water every day.

Do you want that Tiger's eye cutting I started this spring? You can have it if you want it. I can also give you some of that Sunny Wind for you to practice on.

And LEAVE YOUR PODS ALONE!!! ;)

Lindenhurst, NY

HI blupit007. The seeds were pretty bag, like a fat hollyhock seed (do you know what hollyhock seeds look like?) I would love Tiger's eye and Sunny wind too. I have some of mine in a cup of water,and some have started to root after about 3 wks. Yipppeee.
Do you want some unrooted cuttings of mine? I can send cheap frills which is this one:

Thumbnail by maureenpm00
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Sure. We should do it soon because tonight it is supposed to be 30º. I will DMail you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.