Art Deco hanging wall pot - must see

Sydney, Australia

This elegant wall pot above would be quite a practical solution for those who have very limited space for growing things, especially with apartment living becoming more common. I rang garden nurseries and garden pot suppliers to which I was advised that next to no wall pots were available, only a plain half–round one in terra cotta that is rarely available.

This Art Deco hanging wall pot pictured is a one–off design that I sculpted out of semi–porous styrene like foam that would have been discarded (now reused), painted it with acrylic paint and chloroprene rubber super glue. Fortunately this is a great insulator against hot weather and the bromeliads above are growing well in it. For a strong backing that will not break off the wall I sandwiched the semi–porous styrene like foam in two flat sheets of salvaged lexen plastic and two copper nuts and bolts to hold it together. I then threaded it through with zinc–alume wire (also salvaged) for easy tying and painted it.

The pot has a 19 millimetre (three quarter inch) plastic irrigation tube threaded through it for easy drainage.
It is about 35 centimetres (14 inches) across and about 35 centimetres (14 inches) tall and about 20 centimetres (8 inches) wide.
Also it is 4 centimetres (1 1/2 inches) thick around the back, front and sides.

It took some time for me to make and I had some challenges in making this one and in hindsight would have liked to have bought it if only they were available in the first place. It would have been great if I knew how to make concrete replicas of this one for minimal environmental impact and exposure to hazardous glue and paint. Anyone interested can use this design as this Art Deco hanging wall pot is just finished and it would be fantastic to see something like these more available.

Cheers,

Ben

Thumbnail by Fortune8
This thread has 30 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!