Clematis Variety Suggestions and Advice ????????

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Everyone!

I tried to grow a clem in 2009, but it died rather quickly, and I haven't planted another since. I am now starting to think about what I will be growing in my two small garden beds next year, and I would love to try and grow clematis again. Here's where I could use all the help I can get!

Which varieties of clematis would you recommend that contain all of the following attributes :

1 ) Good choice for a clem beginner
2) Stays in bloom for the longest amount of time
3) Very floriferous
4) Does well in only afternoon sun

?

Also, when is the best time of year to plant clematis (I'm in zone 6b)?

Thanks so much for any advice you have to offer - I can't wait to absorb the wisdom :)

- Natasha

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Now we need information from you. How big do you want the vines? over or under 10 feet? Any color preference? Are you willing to wait a few years for the roots to grow or would you rather pay bigger bucks for larger plant? Is the afternoon sun more than 6 hours?

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Bananna18 -

Here are the answers to your questions :

1) I have a small wood fence that's about 6 or 7 ft. tall. I'd like to grow a clematis against this fence to cover it. I guess I'm open to
anything 6 ft. high or taller.

2) I would rather purchase a large plant that already has a great head start.

3) I'm open to almost any color.

4) No, the afternoon sun is NOT more than 6 hours.

Thank you for your assistance :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jackmanii gives me the most flowers but all of mine are in full sun all day long.

You might want to buy a Nelly Moser, which doesn't require full sun, but you won't get months of blooms from it. Sorry if that disappoints you but most clematis do not provide a very long bloom time - maybe a month at most.

Thumbnail by pirl
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

2 that leap to mind are Huldine (white) and Galore (purple). Both are fast growers with lots of blooms. 3 vendors also leap to mind for larger well started clems. Silver Star Vinery, Brushwood and Garden Crossing. It's a little late in the season for z6 to plant now, but spring would be just fine.

Thumbnail by venu209
Athens, PA

I would start with the viticellas. They are quite vigorous and good for beginners......

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd avoid the Montana group unless you have a tree you want covered.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Venosa Violacea http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=585
Prince Charles http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=37
Margaret Hunt http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=276
I agree with all the advice. My jackmanii blooms almost all season, but then again it is the most established. Huldine was blooming a few months after being planted from a 4 inch pot...so I expect it to really live up to it's reputation next year or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.