Organizing Computer Clutter

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

We all have it--files scattered here and there, useless files that we don't even need, files we can't find because we've "misfiled" them, etc. Let's use this thread to talk about how to organize files and clean up our computers so we can find what we want and our computers can run more efficiently.

First, think of your computer as a big room with filing cabinets. Each filing cabinet has drawers. Each drawer has folders. And each folder contains documents.

If you use Windows, you're given several standard "filing cabinets": My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc. In these "cabinets", you can set up "drawers". For instance, in your "My Pictures" cabinet, you could have "Drawers" for "My Family", "My Gardens", etc. Then under "My Family", you could set up individual folders for "John's Family", "Steve's Family", "Family Reunions", "Family Pets". Then you can move photos to the appropriate folders where you can always find them. I tend to store my files initially in "My Pictures" folder (which is kind of like a "junk drawer" on my computer. LOL Later I move them to the appropriate folders so I can easily find them.

After you've moved photos and documents to the appropriate folders, it's a good idea to look through them and delete anything that is now useless--blurry photos, documents you no longer need, etc.

Once I get everything cleaned up and organized, I'll copy it all to the external hard drive. External hard drives aren't as expensive as they once were. I just got one from Meritline for $70--a Western Digital (a pro in data storage for decades). It's a 1 Terabyte (1000 gigabytes). It's also portable, small and lightweight. It fits easily in a laptop bag with your laptop. You can carry it anywhere and plug it into any USB port. If your computer ever crashes, you can plug your external hard drive into your new computer, and there are all your files.

I also burn certain folders to CD-RWs--usually one folder per CDRW because I know I'll be adding to it. I may change some of the files too--like my resume file, which I update from time to time. If I use CD-RWs, I can rewrite or write over the old file, replacing it with the new file. If you use plain CD-Rs, you can't rewrite; instead you have to rename your file and add it to the CD, so then you have duplicate files, which can get confusing--such as Resume 1, Resume 2, etc. Duplicate files consume CD space, causing you to need more CDs ultimately containing some useless files. I like everything consolidated; less is more. I'd like to clear all the CDs off my shelves, but I don't totally trust the external hard drive, altho I should. But it's just so hard to give up that "hard copy". I still feel some dependence on CD storage.

After you move all your files and reorganize the folders and delete stuff, etc., then you need to do an actual disk defrag and clean up--a utility program on your computer. When we move and delete files, it leaves gaps all over our hard drives so everything is spread out. By defragging and cleaning up, the system will pull together all the files, deleting empty spaces between them. So your computer should run more efficiently and you should see it boot up and shut down quicker, since it won't be having to read a lot of empty space.

I'd love to hear other tips too. I'm no computer expert, but I do like everything nice and neat so I can find what I need when I need it. Things get pretty chaotic during warm months, when I'm gardening. I just dump everything into "My Pictures." I usually spend rainy days and winter months reorganizing everything. I am trying to get better at putting new files right where they go to begin with. Trying. I'm not completely successful yet though. LOL

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!