"Lucky plant/pods-beans" & " ?read cannot decipher australe"

Sydney NSW, Australia

Received a gift plant 2 weeks ago with tag "Lucky plant-pod/beans" Botanical name "?australe" tag reads, "indoor plant, water sparingly, 4 hours filtered sunlight daily"
(I live in Sydney, Australia). Pot is 7", plant 15" tall with lush, healthy-looking leaves, at base of pot are 12 dark green pods/beans. Am I able to propagate these pods/beans and if so, how and when please.
A big 'thank you in advance!
Annabellaaust

This is not really an indoor plant at all although it will grow indoors ...it is in fact a rain forest Giant tree common name of Black Bean tree
http://sydney.edu.au/science/uniserve_science/school/curric/stage4_5/nativeplants/gallery/blackbean/index.html
it is a very beautiful tree and I have some trees growing from these "Lucky Beans"
If you want to grow them just plant in a pot outside in dappled shade and cover with an inch of compost.

Sydney NSW, Australia

Chrissy 100,
Thanks for the information and the link..wot a hoot..here I am in a unit on 9th flr with 7" pot that will grow into a giant tree! Maybe take over and eat the Body Corp...now that would be interesting.
cheers
Anna

Brisbane, Australia

Anna, maybe you could try your hand at Bonsai for this tree? I've never tried it. Maybe the tree isn't suitable, but worth finding out?

Karen

It will remain a lovely little Balcony plant if left in a pot and given shelter.
Many rainforest trees are used for these purposes.

A Bonsai would look lovely too.
Gee you must miss your acres ...it must be very frustrating to be so limited.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Chrissy, you just jogged my memory.........Rain forest trees........I bought this one which is about 4ft high about 10yrs ago...initially it was as an indoor plant until I got sick of it....So I put it on the verandah and it has been on all of our verandahs ever since...

Karen's suggestion of Bonsai is very like what has happened to this plant, the base of the trunks look very aged.....I can't remember what it is, just that it is commonly sold as an indoor plant even though it is naturally quite a large tree.

That's what you can do with your gift...Anna
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I think your plant is Ficus benjamina dianne. I have two either side of the gate which I used to train as lollypop standards, but I have let them grow in the hopes they will turn into monsters and i can cut a hole to drive through them.
Anna, I grew a pot of black beans from the seeds, about 8 or so, and they are now about 2" high. Its a nice full pot of glossy leaves that I can bring in at times for a bit of green then put back outside for some rain. I also have acouple in the yard, one grew like jacks beanstalk, and the other is still relatively small. They're a bit of a pain when they start to drop those beans! look out below! clonk!! Mine are not at that stage yet, and I planted them where that shouldn't be an issue.
Sue

Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi,
Thanks to you all re my, (I found the correct botanical name from a nursery), "Castanospermum australe" aka Lucky Beans. There is no doubt about opinions/views/experience; they certainly differ! About propagation Chrissy 100, when do I plant the seeds...allow the pods to go brown and retrieve the seeds or???
Firstly, as my unit does not have any sun whatsoever for 4-5 months annually, it is difficult to grow anything exciting or colourful.(Didn't know this when buying)...
Secondly, does anyone know what I CAN grow on the 9th flr, very little sunshine balcony, apart from what I have already, e.g. agave x 12, many varieties of cactii, and a few other pieces of greenery around the fish pond? I miss colour very much. Yes, I doooo miss my acres where I could play for days in the garden with so many varieties of flowers, shrubs, tress, hanging baskets, broms, orchids, fruit & veg. etc. boo hoo.
Finally, it took me ages to find this page after logging inon. Can you tell me how to get to this site a wee bit faster.
thanks
Anna :-)

At the top of this page Anna, you will see "watch this thread'' click on it. also the Australian gardening forum has a similar thing..."watch this forum'
You still haven't told us which months you get the sun....summer or winter?

Sue, you are correct about the name of my plant....I remembered Ficus, couldn't remember the rest.....
Dianne.

Sydney NSW, Australia

Dianne,
Apologies..another senior moment. Sun arrives 2nd wekk Sept. and disapears beginning April. Enlarged your pic and looks to me like a ficus, however,my bean/pod pot plant looks similar.
Anna :- )

Anna, you could grow patio roses or even the large ones if you liked...they grow very well in pots and are dormant in the winter.
This site will give you an idea what is available...
Good luck.
Dianne
http://www.wallararoses.com.au/roses/size/3/patio-standard

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 8:16 AM

Summer sun means you can grow anything that drops it's leaves in Winter.
Lots of tough plants too.
Herbs and tiny tomatoes.
Succulents.
Roses would need to be thornless.
Lots to think about ^_^

Pssst check out this part of the forums.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/apartments/all/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.