Osprey season 2010 - A new beginning.

PERTH, Australia

We shall hope that the awful events of the past couple of weeks are now behind us. Let's look forward to following the surviving chick on its journey to fledging and eventual independence. For anyone who wants to visit the previous thread, here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1133620/#new

To begin, here's a family shot of Dad, Big Hook and the now three week old chick. Dad has just delivered a live fish to the nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook and the chick. I don't know if the surviving chick is the first or second hatched. One day I may go back over my photos and see if I can determine which one it is.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook feeding the chick. Its task is to get to fledging without going over the side of the nest prematurely.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great family photo Margaret. Let's hope the chick remains safe.

PERTH, Australia

Sure hope so, GG.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Lovely pix, Maggie! Looking forward to the "growing" adventure ;o)

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, Kim. I hope there are no more traumas.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Margaret,

What clarity the pictures of the Ospreys family and the drama enveloping its fate -- as nature has it! (Not as how we would have it!) Brutus seems to be fitting for the chick's name. Just as Last year's only survival offspring; Harmony, in that light node Harmony survived the accidental fledge, I sure hope Brutus will over come the shallow nest this season.

Kim, terrific idea of the naming, if I may. Brutus or Blutto... as Margaret has mentioned last year. Harmony versus Harm(ony) depends on how the fate unfold...

As for the here and now: Like Tamara has mentioned before, I'm putting up my invisible shield for the vulnerable chick and looking forward for a new beginning.

Kim2

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

A new start is just what we need Margaret. Thank you for being so positive.

Each new photo shows how the chick is getting more color and growing strong. It amazes me that your photo is so clear that we can see the chick's tongue.

Beautiful photos!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My gosh...look how big it is already! Always forget and am amazed at how fast they grow.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Margaret! Been a lil bit since Ive chimed in. Too bad about the other chick...we will watch this one grow and flourish now.

Perth, Australia

Margaret,
In a way I'm glad I;m overseas on a visit presently as it would have ben sad to see the demise of such a plucky little fighter. Sarah actually conveyed the news on the same day to me - she'd been down with the dog and only seen one.
I feel for Big Hook because early on I think she really tried - she was clearly stressed one of the visits I made at the fighting siblings. Given how 'caring' and inclusive they appear as mature adults it's hard to fathom such behaviour - I truly wonder whether the sex of the chicks had anything to do with this. It will be interesting to see if te last chick survives what it will turn out to be. Are males or females dominant or for osprey's does it matter. I have a few shots with me but won't post any of the 'chicks' together. Here are three of mum flying around

Thumbnail by unsteady
Perth, Australia

Check the wings in this one - magnificent & too much lens! What a nice problem to have.

Thumbnail by unsteady
Perth, Australia

and finally a wing beat later - the camera has done an excellent job of maintaining the focus

Thumbnail by unsteady
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots guys!

London, United Kingdom

Great pictures as always. I would have thought that this chick should definitely survive to fledge.

As to whether the sex of the chick has anything to do with the behaviour? Well some watchers tend to think that females are more violent but that is hard to prove as one only learns of the sex of the chicks later.

Most chicks are only violent when they are hungry. However there has been the odd chick that just seemed to love being violent. That video I linked to where the little one (Flag) managed to fight back is unusual. The middle chick in that nest (Stripe) was a very violent chick. It was the one that got duffed up by the big one Star as a result of Flags tactics. That is why the video was so sweet.

However the most violent chick of all was the eldest one (Nethy) at Loch Garten in 2008. she was female and seriously wanted to kill number 3. In the end she did :(

BTW why was Big Hook given her name? Also how many seasons has dad been around?

PERTH, Australia

Thanks folks. The behaviour observed with this chick serves to demonstrate the raw, primitive instincts that exist in nature - and we humans aren't exempt. Who can explain why, in previous years it didn't occur. Madame X was telling me this afternoon that when Old Ma had three chicks, there was no sibling rivalry. Each was fed in turn and all three fledged.

This little one is precocious. I was watching this afternoon as yachts passed close by. Unlike Aussie and Harmony, who immediately flattened themselves to the nest floor in similar situations, it just sat there gazing on with interest. This one gazed skywards when a plane went over this afternoon, whereas the other two would have hit the deck.

Beautiful shots, Pete. And yes, I think you're fortunate to be away to have some space from recent events.

Interesting observations, Tiger. Thanks. Big Hook got her name by the big hook on her beak. After having watched her predecessor and "Dad" for several months, when BH came along, the first thing I noticed was that she was a large bird and that the hook on her beak was really long. I'm not sure how long Dad has been around. However, I've seen photos taken at the nest in 2005 and it's definitely him. Seeing him constantly for more than two years, his mannerisms, physical features and behaviours are completely recognisable. I think one way to confirm it is him year in, year out, would be to photograph his eyes. They really are quite different. Quite a subtle greyish yellow colour and I think he has a black spot within the iris of his right eye which would be suitable for ID purposes.

I'm going to have to leave posting shots from this afternoon until tomorrow, but here's one of the chick exercising its wings.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

egads it is big!

My goodness, how that chick has grown!!

kind of at that ugly phase...LOL!

Nanny, that chick is fortunate; it will outgrow its UGLY phase. I never did!! LOL

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

The chick is really so vulnerable out in the open like-it worries me. The photo is adorable.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wonderful shots Pete.
Thanks for the updates Margaret, Nice shot of the little one.

O GG...you are a beautiful inside & out!

PERTH, Australia

It being out in the open is a worry, both from predators and from the shallowness of the nest. Mind you, Dad was close by on the pole branch. It flaps its little wings like crazy and with it lacking the skill, judgement the physical ability to fly, it may go over the edge and there would not be the good outcome that Harmony had last year.

GG, I agree with nanny.

A few shots from yesterday. First, here it is looking at a passing plane. After following it for a few seconds, it then just returned its gaze to nothing in particular. It didn't hunker down in fear.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Guess who's back!

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook had only just come back onto the low branch after a bath and was really wet, when the Willie Wagtail appeared. I could hear it chattering away angrily somewhere along the low path yesterday - probably at a Kookaburra, so they must have a nest close by.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I just love the skinny little legs.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook wasn't in the mood for this pesky little bird and flew back up to the nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Dad arrived with a fish and proceeded to eat it on the low branch, completely ignoring Big Hook's persistent calls to bring it up to her on the nest. What was so funny, was that every time she called, the chick mimicked her. Then it would be silent when she was and as soon as she started up again, so did it.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

"That's pretty good, but you've not quite got it right. It goes more like this....."

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Watching Mum very closely.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Here's Dad on the low branch with the fish. He ate the lot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pictures Margaret. I hope you plan to enter some in the 2010 photo contest!!!

PERTH, Australia

But as you can see, it's not starving.

I probably won't be going to the nest for the next four days, so don't be concerned about a lack of updates.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thanks BeaHive. You are far too kind.

Perth, Australia

Can't beleive thst bird came out of an egg less than 4 weeks ago Margaret. Will be intersting to see if it fledges earlier than normal - before Xmas me thinks!
Pete

Marlton, NJ

Excellent shots Margaret! Love where the Willie Wagtail looks like he is walking on air!

The family looks great!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Great shots Margaret ,Looks and sounds like this one sure is different from the other chicks,not afraid of anything .good or bad ?????

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm betting that chick is a little girl. A very spoiled one at that the way it copies everything mom does like a pampered child. Dad sure showed them when he ate the whole fish. So funny.

Margaret that last photo of the chick is just priceless-but then, they all are!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.