Ava Agastache

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This was my first year to grow 'Ava' agastache from Highcountry gardens. It has been blooming very nicely for the last 6 weeks or so. The stems were a little floppy this year, but over-all I think it's done well. Hopefully it will make it through the winter. Suppose to be much better it's second year.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

That's pretty!!. Hope it continues to grow for you and doesn't freeze.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Susan -- LOVE that color.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

I bought 2 plants last year from them also. When they get tall they flopp
a little. My tutti frutti did the same thing. I hope it comes back next year.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Purdy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

For us here in Lincoln Nebraska...neighbor...I recommend 'Rosita' Agastache...another hardy, beautiful Agastache which is hardy for us here in zone 5b :)

Candor, NC

The species parents on this one could be Agastache pringlei or A. palmeri, if they are shorter than 15 inches tall. Who knows what A. neomexicana would look like crossed with A. pallida v. pallida (A. barberi)? No one keeps records, so it is hard to tell.

I think there is a new Agastache hybrid coming soon with light yellow lemon flowers, and it seems to act like a bedding plant. No one knows what this is either.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I too got "Ava" from High Country Gardens this year-fabulous color, bloomed for 6 months and I really hope it lived through this soggy winter. I Just ordered "Rosita" from them. Strange that plants from a desert should do well in Seattle, but it is reliably droughty here every summer.
Looking at their catalog makes me want to live in a desert!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think I'll order Rosita too this year. Not sure where it will go, but I'll find a spot.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

For a person who is really a novice in Agastaches.... how does one know [easily] if it's a Hybrid or not?

The reason for my question is... some of these Agastaches, I may get them for zone4, where they wont survive the winters - if I collect the seeds, i'd be wondering if they came true or not.

Candor, NC

If it's a hybrid, it won't likely come true. If there is just a varietal but no Latin binomial name, there is a 85 - 95% chance that it is a hybrid.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Has anyone grown Purple Pygmy? Do you know it's hardiness?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

it's hardy here. i bought plants, harvested seeds and grew more. so 5a here.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ava made it through the winter very well here in zone 5 and looks like it's going to be nice this year. I planted 3 new Purple Pygmy this Spring and hope they do well here.

I planted three last year and I see growth on one, so will assume they are not the quickest in the spring but they will survive. Thanks. My Monarda still hasn't shown growth although Crimson Brocade asters have a little

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the only Agastaches that are currently 'bigger' are the Hyssops. All the others are still quite small, but have had growth since Feb/March or so.

My monardas are 6" or more out of the ground. But i'd imagine my "spring" hits much sooner than yours.

Your weather, as you have reported it here and on other threads is very similar but you get higher peaks of temps that promote the growth I think. Our lows are very close, but I never get the high temps til July, and then you are talking 65-75 (if we are lucky.)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

have to admit... i think i'd like your July temps over ours.
[but dont think it would work well for our water aerobics classes -- we need 80's for that.]

in June of '12 -- we are hoping to visit your beautiful state. hope everything falls into place and we go on that trip.

I hope you make it. And if possible go all the way to Fairbanks. Heck, if possible take the trip up to Prudhoe Bay. Send a note before you come and I would be glad to take you to lunch if you have time. I have no wonderful advice on what to see. I have lived here so long that it all pretty much looks the same to me. The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks is gorgeous however. Never do get tired of that.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

we are planning one of those 'excursions'

it's about 13 days... 3 on a cruise ship out of Vancouver or Anchorage. The trip will take us into the Yukon and yes up to Fairbanks and Denali. we are/were planning it with a bunch of other folks... so we have to see how that is gonna pan out... we started planning last fall, but too many were slacking to make it this June, so we pushed it back a yr.

DH has a good friend in Anchorage that we are hoping to spend an extra few days there ... but that is also still up in the air.

Sounds like you have all bases covered. Glad you are making it further north. Very much worth it. Lots of folk just do the inside passage, hit Valdez, Whittier, Anchorage, they fly home. They are really missing a great part of the state by doing that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.