ID to wildflowers

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I found a book to take out in the field with me when I'm prowling. It is the Guide to the Wildflowers & ferns of Kentucky by Mary E. Wharton & Roger W. Barbour. Now I can figure out what I'm looking at out there.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a great book to have! I got mine for Christmas 2 years ago, a fantastic resource.

Doug

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Doug. I'm having lots of fun with it.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

That's great, marti. I use my Missouri Wildflowers book all the time. Sometimes (when I remember!) I take it in the car with me when we are driving out of town, so I can look up any new wildflowers I see as we go.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

It's fun to look up the wild flowers and see what they are.

Minneapolis, MN

Wharton and Barbour also wrote a wonderful book called Trees & Shrubs of Kentucky. I highly recommend that also.

Teresa

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'll check it out and thank you.

Minneapolis, MN

Hi Marti, do check out the trees and shrubs book for Kentucky. For ImaMes, I can recommend Don Kurz' Shrubs and Woody Vines of Missouri; it is phenomenal. The only thing about that is that it has drawings, not photos, but they are wonderful drawings. Be sure to get the full-sized Shrubs & Woody Vines of Missouri, not the pocket guide which is much abbreviated. The full-sized book really has the info you need to positively ID plants.

In case anyone is wondering why a Minneapolis girl knows about these field guides for KY and MO, I'll tell you that I have them because I am writing and photographing a series of photo ID guides for wild berries and fruits (being published by Adventure Publications), and the books are divided into 3-state areas. The first covered my home turf (Wild Berries & Fruits Field Guide of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan); that came out on 2009. This spring, the second one was published: Wild Berries & Fruits Field Guide of Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. Then this year, I traveled to Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky to research and take photos for the third book in the series, which will cover those states; that one will be out in spring 2011. Anyway, in the course of researching for these books, I bought darn near every guide book I could find for each area! So I know which ones are good.

If anyone is interested in seeing these books, they are on Amazon.com and in some local bookstores; they're published by Adventure Publications, who is probably the publisher of the Wildflowers of Missouri book noted above (hard to know if that's the same book; the Adventure one is by Stan Tekeila). Northern Trails Press website has sample pages from the books, if you want to see what they look like.

Teresa

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Teresa - How cool that you are doing photo ID guides! I'll have to look into the IL/IA/MO one. I have the full-size Shrubs and Woody Vines book you mention. And, yes, it's wonderful, too. I have used both books a lot. The MO Wildflowers book I have is by Edgar Denison. It is sold by the MO Dept. of Conservation, and is also available on Amazon.com.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I also have the Trees and Shrubs of KY and it is indeed another valuable resource.

Doug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.