Planting lilies in the fall

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I got some lily bulbs this fall, but I couldn't plant them right away, as they were destined for our summer home. They sat in their plastic bag, covered in some sort of stuff... maybe peat moss. Anyway, I couldn't see them clearly. When I was able to plant them, they had an inch or two of white growth. I don't know if they had sprouted before they arrived or not. I planted them today, but I'm wondering if they will survive? They're planted in Maine. The weather today was in the 40's and 50's. We'll very likely get snow in the next couple of weeks, although it won't last. What will happen to those sprouts over the winter?

TIA
LAS

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's not terribly unusual to get a bulb with a nub of growth, in fact, I just planted a couple myself. Make sure they're planted deep enough and they will most likely be fine.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Good advice, Moby. It's not really the normal thing that happens, but I have dug up bulbs (lilies and spring bulbs) in the fall in my own garden that seemed to have already begun growth for the next spring. They always seem to do fine.

Rick

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No problem planting sprouted lily bulbs in the fall.
Moby and Leftwood are right. I planted a last minute order from Buggy last Oct-nov. and nearly half were sprouted.
All came up and bloomed in July.
Lilies are very forgiving.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Would this include crinums planted in the Fall?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not an expert but this is what I did.
I planted Cirnums 4 years ago. I saw them last year ( year 3)
They were unsprouted bulbs from Brenyt and Becky. They are doing fine and I will check for them this spring after April.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

How deep did you plant your crinum bulbs?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have arthritis so the holes for all lilies are not deep as the bulb planting directions say.
Maybe about 6 inches.The lilies grow in any event.
I thought I had a pix but cant find it. Cirnum isnt a showie lily like others. I love how delicate the leaves are and the blooms are sweet.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

True. But they are such hardy things in the South. They've lived totally neglected in some Southern yards or former yards for decades. Some of the newer crinums are quite lovely. I am in zone 6b so similiar weather to yours. I did not plant mine too deep but I would say maybe 6". I just got another one I ordered from the DG Marketplace and anxious to plant it. Also some tiger lilies. I have a few daylilies too. I love the plain old hardy orange ditch lilies but also have a couple of the newer hybrids.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like your on your way.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, starting all over from scratch, so to speak.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Does anyone plant lilliums in composted mulch/soil mixture in a raised bed? I have such heavy clay soil. They are a pain to dig and divide.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We have awful clay and rocks here. I planted all plants and bulbs by carrying a bucket of potting soil, peatmoss is just as good, and a bucket of compost.
I would dig the lily hole and the clay soil would be set aside . The hole was filled in with compost and peat. Its worked well here.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Lilies do excellently in raised beds. I built one just this past fall. Filled it with a yard of sand and a 2 yards of compost (mixed together, of course).

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sounds yummy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.