need advice on a Bargello pattern idea

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

First - I have not made any Bargello patterns, but love them for the way the patterns 'flow' in the designs. Having only seen quilt size at the local quilt shows, I'm wondering if a placemat size would be too small to make the pattern appreciable.

Second - since placemats are washed more than a quilt, and the strips are narrower, would the seams be more apt to come apart since there will be more than a normal mat? Or should the seams be more like 3/8" or better and a smaller stitch? I know some here have made bargellos, but in the quilt or wall quilt sizes...

I found a mat pattern online, but the strips are wider than what I'm thinking of and does not really say 'bargello', to me anyway. Attached pic is similar to what I was thinking of, but am wondering if the strips would be too narrow for the mat to hold up well, even half of the design that shows a twist would be what I would want. I'm thinking maybe 16x20?

Does anyone here have any ideas? Yea's or Nay's are welcome....

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!