Has anyone planted raspberries in ebuckets?

Crestview, FL

I am looking a book, called Successful Berry Growing, and under raspberries, the pics look like they grow straight up like in a tomato plant, and you can trellis it. So; what are the chances of my growing raspberries in ebuckets, like in one raspberry plant per e-bucket and trellising on both sides of the buckets?

Also, where can I go to see waht others are doing with the lasagna method of gardening in above ground beds?

joy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Joy, I believe rasberries (and grapes) require more real estate than a bucket can provide. It might be a fun experiment, but don't spend a lot of money on it.

Crestview, FL

OCCarol: I hear you there. LOL I will probably try both of them in the 5 gallon buckets. I also found some raspberries called "eskimo raspberries" that seem to grow like strawberries and think maybe they could be tried in an earthbox. I also saw a minature pumpkin dwarf tree which might do nicely in one of the 5 gallon ebuckets. So far, just looking though.
joy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Joy,
You can buy a roll of plastic poultry wire or wire hardware cloth, and simply wrap it around the eBucket for an instant trellis. Look at how I used the plastic around my potatoes grown in washing machine tubs.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Hey, that is a great idea, does Lowes carry it and how much is it?
joy

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

I've used this for my potatoes, too. It does a much better job of keeping out critters (like chipmunks) and is sturdy enough to be reused year after year. Not too expensive either!

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Great idea with the trellising! I was hoping to do some raspberries as well, but it sounds like 5 gallons are too small? Thats a shame.

Crestview, FL

Kindlekat: Yep, back to the drawing board I suppose. LOL
joy

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Joy - Just found at Costco, and a familiar feature in the spring/summer at all the box stores as well, are those big plastic tubs with rope handles. At my Costco they are coming in a 2 pack for $8 and they are 12 gallons each. Since they are built so tough for people to use as outdoor bins or ice buckets, I don't think they will split in the winter. They are also much cheaper than storage bins of a comparable size because they aren't meant for long term storage and don't come with a lid.

I think price-wise they might be perfect and size-wise, they might be as well. Raspberries apparently need a container that is about 18 inches in diameter. I didn't have my tape measure with me but this might work. Also might be good bins for potatoes....

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thumbnail by Kindlekat
Crestview, FL

Kindlekat: They would be perfect for potatoes I'm sure and not sure about raspberries, I'm going to be making beds like the ones in Gardeners Supply for my raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Only I'm going to be using 2x10's or possibly 2x12's cypress for the beds.
joy

Pensacola, FL

I have grown tomatoes for years in these buckets and they do fantastic. Especially in the red buckets. I have some raspberries that need a home and I am going to use some of the buckets in green for them.

Crestview, FL

Please let us know how that works out for the raspberries will ya?
joy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

kindlekat

just posted to find out an update on your raspberry growing.

I was just at a garden center yesterday looking for some pine bark fine (mix for my grow bags) as they said they carry it due to all the raspberry growers around who have eboxes that they grow theirs in.

I've wanted some so bad, but live in a rental house so can't really put too much in the ground but I can have all the planters I want..... So since others have grown them in Eboxes, I thought I'm going to try them in some 10 or maybe 15 gallon grow bags.

Hope to hear how your growing went with them.

Jan

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have never thought of putting raspberries in containers because the roots spread so much. Won't they get root bound pretty quick? On the other hand it is one way to control the root spread which has turned out to be a nuisance in the veggie garden as new shoots come up everywhere I don't want them. The roots travel under my weed control paper paths and emerge on the other side in the asparagus patches or patches where I want to put potatoes or other crops. But I love them when they ripen in July so live with it and just rip out the new shoots. I've given away so many raspberry shoots over the years that I have lost count. And it all started from a 10 cane order! These are all summer bearing, not fall. So I will be curious to hear how putting raspberries in containers works out!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

These aren't raspberries, but...I did them last spring.

I'll put fewer plants in the next eBuckets, come November. There were 25 in this one bucket. I'll only do 10-12/per next time.

Linda.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

gymgirl

I love how you have taken the old strawberry growing pots and transferred to the ebuckets. the fruit looks yummy.

Jan

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

There is a raspberry call shortcake that is great in a containers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.