This impostor is re-blooming in my Gay Parasol space. ID?

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Beautiful strong straight bloom stalk, but not Gay Parasol. It's actually more violet/purple than the picture may show. It is not blue. The beard is white with yellow in throat. It has a very strong musky/sweet? scent.
I first thought City Lights but it's too purple.

I cut it and brought it in because I've been sick and wanted to enjoy it before it froze.

Thumbnail by sunshineannie
Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Hmm, ok I'm new here, can I just post the pics in the text from my photobucket page so they aren't all covered with copy?

I'll test one here
[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/sunshineannies/iris%20gardens/100_7397.jpg[/IMG]

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

I'll figure this out, bear with me!
Changed the preference, now lets see what happens.

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Ahhh I guess I should not resize my pics before posting here? I'll wait for an answer now so I don't keep talking to myself. :p

Lebanon, OR

Do you remember where you bought it from? If from one of the mart stores you are lucky it is even close to what you wanted.

D

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Yes I do, but it wasn't a mart store, I DO NOT buy those poor tortured rhizomes. I believe it was one of the long time sellers on ebay, but I buy a lot from Schreiners and BlueJ.
I figured it wasn't cool to post names, I thought about trying to contact the ebay seller to see if it clicked. BUT I did a major replant/move around two years ago and I may have screwed it up myself.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Annie! I can't help with the ID but figured I'd comment on the photos... I think you've figured it out, actually. Yes, if you upload a small or low resolution image then then copyright or watermark will be very large across the photo. Looks like you've already figured out how to choose the type of copyright you want on the image... you can also turn it off altogether, which I do from time to time for a particular image (just remember to go back and change the preference again if you want to turn it back on).

It's a pretty bloom! Hope you can figure out its ID, if it's another one from your garden. I get surprises sometimes after I've been moving things around. :-)

Gainesville, TX

looks similar to Daughter of Stars

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

A bit, but no veins on the falls.
I'm in the living room with it about 6 feet away, and I think I'm going to have to move it! The scent is VERY strong. I wish I could figure out what it reminds me of.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Daughter of Stars is a wonderful one -- beautiful markings scattered across the falls, "luminata" I think it's called? I don't remember it having a strong fragrance.

There are some purple irises (including an older historic whose name escapes me) that have a strong sweet smell that people say reminds them of grape kool-aid.

Spicer, MN

I still believe it may be City of Lights. It was a surprise rebloomer for me.

Thumbnail by husker11
Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

It does look the same in the pictures. Is yours as blue as it looks husker11?

Spicer, MN

It truly is a 'beautiful' blue. Here's the other picture which isn't as good.

Thumbnail by husker11
Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Yea, see mine isn't blue. It's very lavender. Still searching for it's ID. I'm going to try to find my old location chart and see who was near Gay Parasol, it might be a clue.
Is there anything more frustrating than waiting for that bud to open, and finding out it's not the right one? Even when it's pretty, it's frustrating

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Doesn't PH and different Fertilizers affect the color of flowers? Soil type, and growing conditions could make just enough difference in color to make it look more blue or more violet in different gardens?

'City Lights' (Mary Dunn, R. 1990). Seedling M87-1002-C. TB, height 37" (94 cm), Mid bloom season. Standards deep violet blue, lighter midrib; falls deep violet blue, large white area surrounding pale yellow beard. 'Fancy Face' X 'Windsurfer'. MAD Iris 1991.

It doesn't say it's a rebloomer here, but it is listed as a rebloomer on the Reblooming Iris Society's website.

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Ok, my old chart says that right next to Gay Parasol was Victoria Falls.
Now this one is listed as a rebloomer, doesn't say fragrant, and does list it as a blue also. But it looks exactly like it otherwise.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

PF says Victoria falls is fragrant. Looks like its registered description says white beard... can't tell from your photo if the beard is white or pale yellow? Irisarians have told me that beard color is often a good way to narrow down the possibilities when looking for an ID... makes sense, and it's probably less likely to vary than other bloom characteristics, too.

South Hamilton, MA

glad to see you back on line, critter. ID--that's what beards are for, yuk, yuk.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I always try to get a good closeup photo of the beards, hafts, and a view from above showing the inter colors of the flowers. It sure helps, I hope anyway. LOL

I think this is Earl of Essex -

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Could it be Victoria Falls if it's still standing, LOL. It's a beautiful iris, but sure lives up to it's name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.