CLOSED: looking for scabiosa, butterfly blue seed

Wichita Falls, TX

yes, I am looking for scabiosa, butterfly blue seed. I've searched the net and can not find a source for them, but all kinds of information stating they can be started from seed -- now.

Anyone have any dry seed heads they are willing to part with?

I'm will to pay or trade. . . I have some fresh cypress vine seed, hycacinth bean ruby moon, cosmos bright orange (5-6'), gomphrena (dk pink and lt pink), and moss rose.

Thanks!

Pretoria, South Africa

Mine has just started flowering. If you don't get any, let me know, and I'll save some seed for you.

Elsa

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I don't have the Scabiosa columbaria, but I have the Scabiosa caucasica, who looks a bit the same.
see here http://www.seedsite.eu/r__t_2.htm

Jonna

Wichita Falls, TX

Oh my gracious -- I can't believe this -- the first two responses are from "out of my country" WOW! Just goes to prove what a small world this is.

Let's see. . . what cool choices! Elsa, I will let you know. Thanks!

Jonna, let me do some more research. I need a plant that can handle our super long hot summers -- think over 100 for waaay too long!

Curious, do the butterflies really like your scabiosa? That was my reason for wanting them -- I heard great reports on these being butterfly lovers.

Thanks!!! This is exciting to think I could get seed from around the world! You've made my day!

Pretoria, South Africa

I can't really say that they are all that fond of them, but that said, the numbers visiting my garden were way down, as were the bees. I have quite a large number of bees this year, so I am holding thumbs for the butterflies. I picked my flowers with them in mind, so hopefully...

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

The butterflies visit the Scabiosa caucasica, but not as often as they visit the Scabiosa japonica, which is on the same page of my website. These smaller plants are always full of butterflies.
For our climate we had an extremely hot and dry summer. Temperatures 95°F for weeks and no rain at all for over 6 weeks. All the Scabiosa I have had no problem with it. Never watered them.
On my website you can see other plants that can be grown in your zone for sure. Look at the symbols, there is one for the USDA zones. And there is also a symbol for plants that attract butterflies.

Jonna

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

a few yrs ago when i had the White version... i never saw a butterfly on them.

I've been able to germinate the White, but no other color [berry mix or blue] what gives??

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

gretagreenthumb, I have dried seed heads you're welcome to for a first-class stamp. Both the Bees & Butterflies adored the blooms.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.