Will self-fertile kiwi pollinate other varieties?

Lostwithiel, United Kingdom

Does anybody know if the self-fertile kiwi 'Jenny' could cross-pollinate other varieties. We have a huge specimen of a variety I don't know, which has produced masses of blooms the last few years, but no fruit. It was one of my mothers purchases and she says it was supposed to be self-fertile plant.

I don't know if they are female blooms, but I could find out the variety with a little research. A couple of months ago I bought a young 'Jenny' variety and I can't find any information as to whether or not it could pollinate the older specimen.

I was wondering if anyone here would know.

This is my first post, and I am new to both this site and to horticulture! Look forward to hearing back from any wise member in the know!
Ajali

Greensburg, PA

I am not familiar with 'Jenny' However, the other self-fertile kiwi (hardy kiwi - A. arguta, possibly an arggta hybrid), Issai, that I know about is a female because it produces fruits. As such, it is not a pollinator of other kiwi to the best of my knowledge. Since I have a number of other female arguta varieties and they are not producing fruit, I think that is a good bet.

Hope this helps. I would assume that any kiwi vine that produces fruit would be female or need to produce both male and female flowers. I have not heard of any kiwi vine that produces both kinds of flowers.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

I just read about Meader which is a male that bears fruit and is self fruitful

Greensburg, PA

Could you post a source? Thanks.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

krowten try Willis Orchard Co. I don't know how to link for you.

Greensburg, PA

I was looking for the source of the information that says Meader, a male, is self-fruitful. I found that statement on the Willis Orchard site.

The kiwi information/description listed Meader as a "hardy" kiwi but showed a fuzzy kiwi photo. To my knowledge, there are no fuzzy kiwis that are zone 5 hardy, and "hardy" kiwi is a term normally applied to the A. arguta family, not fuzzy kiwis. In the description of Meader, they also called it an "Arctic" kiwi, a term usually synonymous with A. kolomicta (not a fuzzy kiwi either) which are even more hardy than the arguta's.

Their handling of the ID of the kiwi, along with the statement about producing fruit from a male, made me suspicious, so I checked the Garden Watchdog of DG. There were many negative ratings for this company which makes me even more suspicious of their claims of a fruiting male.

I avoid dealing with companies that play games like this with the ID's of the products they are selling especially when they do not list the formal species name of what they are selling. Is Meader an A. chinesis, A. arguta or A. kolomikta or another species of kiwi? We can't tell from their web page. I'm now curious about Meader and will do some more research. I've seen Meader offered elsewhere as a male kiwi, but never as a self-pollinating, fruitful male - just skeptical about this claim.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll be watching for your updates krowten. I didn't even think of looking into it, duh, if it is written it must be so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.