Prunning Type 2 or Group B Clematis

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Ok, my landscaper didn't show up, he's running behind because we've had a lot of rain. I'm going on vacation in 10 days and I prunned my Comtesse de brouchard on Sunday afternoon, cut it down to about 12 inches above ground. I have a Dr. Ruppel and a Westerplatte..and they are in the Group B or 2 . I don't think you prune them hard like you do Group C....any advice from clematis experts on this forum? Jeanne from Texas..where are you? Do I feed them after prunning with anything special or wait till Spring?

2011 will be the 3rd. year for the Westerplatte and I've not been very happy with it so far. If it doesn't show me promise in 2011..it's history! I know 2 yrs. ago when I started with this landscaping man, he prunned them all and I thought I saw him feed them some granular food. I thought it was lime but maybe I'm wrong. Whatever it was, Dr. Ruppel took off in the Spring and was absolutely breath taking and full of blooms. Everybody that walked by the house complimented me on it and some wanted to know what was that vine?

Athens, PA

Pippi

I would wait until spring to feed your clems - I would give them a dose of either tomato or rose food when they are starting to wake up.

Typically with my type 2's, I prune them back after they flower in the spring. This gives me a second flush of flowers in the early Fall.

Carolyn

Carolyn, the Westerplatte clematis is nothing but crisp, burnt leaves, only a few green ones. Bought this one 3 yrs. ago and have never been happy with it. I'm going to chop it back to about 18 inches from the ground and if it comes back, great; if not, no love lost, if you know what I mean. I will leave the Dr. Ruppel as it is my favorite one and it still has some blooms on it. I think the extreme hot weather we had didn't agree with that Westerplatte, yet the Dr. Ruppel did fine and they are planted on same wall of the garage. Maybe after I cut the Westerplatte back, maybe I'll dig it up and plant it elsewhere to see if it'll do better. Bad idea? Have you done that before with any of your clematis? When we moved here, the "comtesse du Bouchard was here" I found a half of a garden center plant ID tag so I've been going on that the name of that one but the color of the blooms indicate to me it is not that one. Maybe there were two planted there by previous owner? Have only seen the one so far. Everybody that walked by or drove by wanted to know what kind of vine the Dr. Ruppel was and it really was beautiful last year. It's foliage is still lush and healthy. Not so for Westerplatte. Just thinking about that one makes me want to go out there now and it's almost dark and did that sucker up and put it in yard waste bag for pickup on Monday.

Ever have a disappointing plant like that?

Athens, PA

Pippi - what is the sun exposure where your Dr.Ruppel and the Westerplatte are growing? I just checked Clematis on the Web and it appears that Dr. R likes a sunny location and Westerplatte likes a Sun to part shade exposure.

I have also had some that as you mentioned just didn't do well. They seemed to require more babying than some of the others. I would try moving Westerplatte in the Spring to a bit more shade and see how he does.

I also think that the best thing for the clems are to be cut down from time to time. The type 3's are cut back every year, whereas the others are not necessarily cut back. I did cut back all of my type 2's this past year as I replaced a lot of my fencing....

Carolyn, Thanks for your clematis advice. Today a church friend bought me two bags of garden phlox and since we are leaving on vacation on Wednesday, I had to get those planted today. I decided to take the clippers and cut all the burnt, crispy leaves off the Westerplatte and was prepared to cut it to about 18 in. from the ground but when I started trimming, I found more green leaves than was visiable before, so I just trimmed the brown, crispy leaves off, leaving the green foliage. I will feed it rose food fertilizer in the spring when it is putting out new growth, like you suggested. I was able to make 7 nice size clumps out of the gardne phlox, could have made 8 but I was getting tired so didn't divide the last one I planted. Added garden soil and leaf grow together to enrich the soil they were planted in. Today was a beautiful day, perfect for working in the flowerbeds. It felt so good to be back working out there. Need to go get some mulch to put around the newly planted phlox. I'll double check to see if I might have an entire 40 lb. bag in garage, now that I think about it. Watered the phlox before I planted them and will water all the flowerbeds tomorrow morning. My friend thinks these are all light lavender/purple like she gave me last year but that' s fine with me!

Athens, PA

Pippi

can't wait to see pictures in the spring!

I'd have to send it to you by USPS because I don't know how to post pictures. That is going to be one of my goals to learn in 2011. I'm so computer challenged and I hate it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Pippi - here's a link to the test threads for posting photos.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/test/all/

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

pirl, what category did you win the county fair?

Vegetable gardens. I won first and second place. It was a fun contest.

Athens, PA

oh Arlene! Congratulations!

Thanks, Carolyn! I also won second place and runner-up for balconies/patios.

Remember, everyone, to enter the annual DG photo contest for 2010:
http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Congrats Pirl! I hope some clem pics make it to the finals.

Athens, PA

Arlene

I entered my big peaches and cream waterlily in the photo contest..... time will tell!

Banana - thanks. I won second place with my Omoshiro clematis in the contest last year.

Carolyn - which category? I need to know!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am not surprised about Omoshiro . It is one of the beauties on my wishlist. Not to say that was skill was not involved!

Aw, thanks!

If it weren't for a dear friend I wouldn't even have my 'Omoshiro'.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I went to 3 different sites about that Clem each one had a different picture and tale of the color. What is the true color of that Clem? I would love to have that one.

I'd call it the palest pink possible with a much darker pink reverse and edge.

What do the three sites call the colors? I'm curious.

Thumbnail by pirl

One shows all pink and calls it pink, then the other two show it and calls it as being white with pink edges.

Check it out here:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/144565

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I've been wanting this one since I saw Pirl's for the first time. I have it on "back order" from Brushwoods, but I'm not exacting holding my breath that I'll get it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

There is one place in Canada that sells them but can't (or won't) mail them to the USA.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh yes! Garden Import? I have been yearning for Maria Cornelia and they even have on sale! I am going to Canada later this week and thought about ordering it to my one of my friends/family. I didn't think I could get the proper paperwork in time, plus the $50 US document fee is high. Didn't want to smuggle it.
Guess I will patient and hope the Brushwood one will be ready one of these days.

Yes, it is Garden Import, banana. Couldn't you bring it home with you from Canada or is that not allowed?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You have to pay $50 for the proper papers from GardenImport and get a special permit from USDA. Maybe I will research it more and try in the spring. If I have the chance, I may ask when I am at customs.

I thought it was the actual soil or pathogens they worried about on both sides of the border. APHIS*, on our side, has gotten very firm (thankfully) about what crosses the borders. You might want to ask if you buy a plant, minus the soil, would you be allowed to bring it over.

*Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

You could even ask on the way into Canada and then you might be free to buy it for your return.

Athens, PA

Interesting...... probably the company has to buy the phytosanitary certification. I buy my roses from Pickering Nurseries andthey are in Canada, so I am thinking that it is something that is purchased, company by company.....

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: Is that the department I want? Yes, I have also heard of people ordering roses from Canada. I wonder why Garden Import won't ship to the US anymore.

Yes, it is APHIS. You can Google the name and learn more about them.

I haven't any idea why roses can be shipped without a phyto sanitary (or maybe they pick up the tab) or why Garden Import doesn't ship to the U.S. - maybe too much hassle.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe gets held up at the border and dies. I am in Montreal right now and hope I can talk to someone when I fly back. Thanks for the right government department.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I asked at customs today. Although the Agricultural inspector wasn't there, one of the other inspectors said as long as there was no soil, it could be brought in to the states. Maybe I will try doing that when I go next time.

Hurray!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes! I am excited too. He said it didn't need a special certificate.

My friend in Canada said it's the soil they are concerned about so I guess you're on your way to owning the 'Omoshiro' that you wanted.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually it was Maria Cornelia but after the photo contest Omoshiro is on my list too

Sorry! My error.

I just went to Google images and found Maria Cornelia. It's very lovely.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I remember clematisguru saying it bloomed very well.

If anyone goes to Canada, bring back a few Omoshiro Clem's with out soil and you could sell them...lol
I am sure you would have some takers.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

It would be fun to see the bidding on ebay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.