Foliage

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't resist posting a few plants in their fall display.The first one is A.P. Tamukeyama

Thumbnail by granitegneiss

Next is A.J. Aconitifolium.

This is A.J. Green Cascade

Another A.p. dissectum

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

granite thank you! been meaning to take some pic's of foliage for a while now - yours look to be a bit ahead of most of mine. small pots for the size of the trees how often do you water?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here are some of mine - autumn moon

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

vitifolium new this year

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

two tone viridis

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

red dragon

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sango kaku

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

abigail rose - think i need to move to a slightly more sunnier spot

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

acontifolium

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sourwood tree - posting on another thread at the same time :)

This message was edited Oct 20, 2010 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

crimson queen waiting to turn color

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

did it again - at least they are maples - here is another sango kaku on the right

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

berma bridge

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

red baron with koto no ito in background

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

oregon fern

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

closer of koto no ito

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

looking up through koto into red baron

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

bene kawa

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is autumn moon in front of vitifolium - they should look good all three season together as they grow

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i'll leave you with a new england field with some maples in color - still waiting on many jm's to turn here.

Thumbnail by wha
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

granitegneiss Tamukeyama is lovely, which is encouraging as I just planted one. Thanks.

Wha, Big wow! Your beautifully crafted Bird house with Bene Kawa is fabulous. I want a Abigail Rose after seeing yours. But they aren't many that I wouldn't love. Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thank you patti

I really love that peachy orange color that the Koto no ito is sporting. How many other cultivars have that color?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good question - not sure - time to hit the vertees books - or better yet see if the new jm search tool davidsan has will find them for you.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have the Tamuke yama also. When I read up on it it said to put in full shade to partial shade, but it looks like you have yours in full sun.
I also have Orgeola and Crimson Queen. They too are in partial shade and not doing much growing. Should I put them in full sun as I see them in most yards around here?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have all three and all are in sun marie

Marie,
Mine is under a large tree and only gets afternoon sun, which it happened to be getting when I took the picture.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok then I know where I might be able to plant them. This left area of my back yard gets only afternoon sun. How about water? This flowerbed fights for water with the larger tree's. But I do plan on adding about 4 inches of soil this spring in order to raise it up more. Oh Hosta is no longer there, the voles got them .

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i think that would be a nice spot - may require some watering although jm's do not need too much once established.

Bill, I tried Davidsan's new utility, which is pretty nice, but doesn't distinguish red from peach. But really, colors are not the same every year anyway, so it is tricky and I'm not surprised he didn't try it. Does your koto usually have that peach color in the fall or was this year unusual? How do you like the tree otherwise? Davidsan lists them as -15 hardy, but I guess it doesn't matter since I leave in pots anyway. I do like the lineariloburn leaves.

Marie, I think the tree would look great there.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

When the app was in testing stage I had every possible color/shade listed and it was absurd. You, at most, got a couple of matches and there were only slight differences as you state... I have it still set up on the back side like that but combined shades to just keep basic ones on the side you see . I had about three times as many choices on just about everything from color ( I even had 3 forms of variegation by color) to size to form ( I had 7 categories) and had several additional categories ... It was just plain silly... you never came up with anything when you got thast exact with so many combinations ...so I streamlined it to be more basic and therefore usable...it is very intuitive ( for me) but still had to place really explicit instructions so folks could easily use it without getting to few or too many results. if you read the instuctions you will have good luck ... Temps are consevative... I put nothing in the -20 category except Japonicum Shirwasawanum etc .. although many palmatums will likely take some of those in short bursts. I stayed away from zones because there are two charts ( although I believe the one discarded by USDA in 2003, used by the Arbor day site is more accurate ). The current USDA chart is from 1986 = 24 years old and BOGUS . They are in the process of re-doing it but again zones are just guides micro climates can vary in as much by neighborhoods and back yards .The hardest part of putting it together was putting on buyer hat instead of a seller / collector / fanatic hat... .so that it worked right for the majority of folks using it.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2010 5:53 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

granite - the koto is a great tree - our friend over on the ne forum likes it so much he has a few now i believe - this is the first year the color really shows - i got it from the west coast before davidsans was up and running and it arrived here wilted and questionable if it would survive. i am very happy with it and will remove the stakes next spring and let it grow.

the tool at davidsans is the only one out there that i know of - and as you say colors change slightly every year - so it is more a general tool - for more specific info you would need to call - i think my coloring is the same as our friend in the upper hudson valley - i have three of four lineariloburn and this is my favorite

Sounds like I should start planning my Spring order....one can never have too many JMs

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes colors can vary allot from year to tear. In addition if you buy something that's been under shade cloth it can have a lack of color or different color . These color differences are most pronounced in fall . Dryness cold freezes and frosts can and do effect color. A hard freeze may eliminate all color ... as well as a very tough summer where the leaves are severely stressed .. This is true with many fall coloring trees not just Jms . The older the tree gets the less effected it can be except with extreeme situations like above mentioned freeze . We here have had such a late super dry fall with not even a light frost that 99% of my Jms have not colored at all, yet and if we get hit with a hard freeze, which is likely, this late we will have no color just leaf drop ... Davidsan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

would love to see some pictures when they turn

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I am not optimistic there will be much color ... Japonicum seems to turn earliest but with the variety of weird conditions I don't expect any to be flush with color this fall... and even the Japonicum are just not full like you would usually see so the color although striking is limited by spareness. If any pop phenomenally, and if I have time, I will jpeg a couple.. those are big "ifs".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.