Epiphyllum Blooms 2010

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello all you Epi growers. I thought I would start a thread for our blooms for the 2010-2011 season.
I expected to have lots of blooms by now but looks like I will have to wait a bit longer. Just a few buds on a few plants for me this year.

My first to bloom with two flowers was the Epiphyllum German Princess.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

I purchased some wire from Bunnings and made some cages for the Epies. My poor fingers are all scratched after working on them. I am up to fifty cages and that should do me for now.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Closer view

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

How beautiful are those blooms,Marlene. :0)

Brisbane, Australia

Marlene, those wire cages look like just what I need, but at the moment, all my plants are in hanging pots. They are outgrowing those fast. Putting them into larger pots with wire means finding a new place for them, and nowhere else is as sheltered and safe as where they are now. Will have to work on it and do some planning.

Meanwhile, yours are looking great and will be so much tidier like that.

Karen

Karen I don't have any more room for hanging baskets. My only problem is that if we get a big wet I will have to put them under cover.

This night bloomer had three flowers on it last week.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 1:56 AM

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Clifton Springs, Australia

What a clever idea, Marlene..space is at a premium here....that would be the answer for the Epies.
I have some green plastic covered wire left over....on the weekend that's what I will be doing....Anthony had a pic with his Liliums in a sort of
cage like that, so I copied his idea for the liliums.....never thought of applying it to Epies.
Thanks.....lovely pic too.
Dianne.

Merino, Australia

Very good idea Marlene. I saw an article on doing epis this way on one of the epi sites last year. No good for me though. I have way too many . It would be very expensive . Mine would just keep growing over the top anyway. They never seem to stop growing.
I have so many buds this year. I look forward to adding them here, but it will be a few weeks yet.
Jean.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.