CLOSED: Devil's Claw

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I am looking for seeds for Devil's Claw. Have little to trade for it or can do postage. It is to be a gift for a fine lady that has helped me out of a mess. She found a Devil's Claw and was told it was called "Dead Bird". She would like to grow some for herself, so I am trying to find some for her.

Thumbnail by marti001
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I have one of these that I got years ago at the cemetery where my Grandmother is buried in Tahoka, Texas. They grow wild there in the Texas Panhandle. (not where I live now in Conroe) Hopefully someone will find one for you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

The only thing I found in DG Plant Files with a similar photo and the name "Devil's Claw" was this one:

Devil's Claw, Unicorn Plant
Proboscidea parviflora
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59881/

(But 11 were listed with that common name.)

Edinburg, TX

I have seeds from the Unicorn Plant...which we call the seed pod Devil's Claw. Back when we were kids and would go horseback riding at the ranch those seed pods would wrap themselves around the horse's hooves - used to really spook the horses!!! If you were walking around they'd also get caught up on your jeans leg. Nice usually looking seed pod for sure. The plant is pretty nice too - but it's sticky. Leaves a gummy-like residue on your hands. Pretty flowers too. Can't remember if the seeds I collected were from the plant that blooms white or light purple.

Can send you some of the seeds. The plants show up in the wild and I try to put flags to stake them out but since it's at the ranch my dad often disks up the soil and goes right over them. I guess I need to transplant them so a safe area.

Here is a photo of the white bloom

~ Cat

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

green seed pod photo

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Cat,

I got your envie with the Devil's Claw seeds today. Thank you.
Gayle, the lady I'm getting them for will be so pleased. She and her partner own 35 acres in Green County Kentucky. I don't think she will mind that I'm keeping a few seeds for myself. Would love to watch it grow.

Edinburg, TX

Speaking of Devil's Claw - I was out at the ranch today and saw two small plants with white blooms. I flagged them so I can remember to check them for seed pods a few weeks down the road. They were about 15 yards away from the original plant I'd seen earlier in the year - am thinking when Dad tilled up that section of land the tractor must've picked up the seed pods and spread the seeds around.

~ Cat

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Proboscidea louisianica. I like that one too!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I want to thank everyone who sent my seeds for Devil's Claw. I spoke to Gayle, the lady I wanted to get them for, and she is delighted. I will see her over the weekend of the 13th of Nov and will give her the seeds, minus a few I'm going to try for myself. She is already getting a place along the fence line to grow them. She says they can just have the whole fence line. She says to tell you all that she is very thankful and will keep me informed on how they do for her.

Would anyone still have a few extra seeds of this devil's claw? I am also looking for it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OHHH! Is that what it is called?????

My Uncle--who died in 1993--was quite a craftsman....

He made this BIRD from a seed pod--that I now think is what you were talking about....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Gitagal, that is way cool;o) The Tohono O'odham Indians when I lived in Tucson made crafts from these. It had the same sort of significance as dreamcatchers - can't quite remember the whole story. There is a type of Devil's Claw native to that part of AZ...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

loc--How interesting.....

I do remember my Uncle saying something about this seed he used as it catching in cattle's
throats(??). In the above post it said hooves....That makes more sense....

I do not know where he got them here....Do these grow in Maryland?????

Here is a better picture of his "Bird"....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

♥ the bird!

I believe Devil's Claw is native to the Southwest. It is an annual so I guess one could try and grow it anywhere. Plant Files shows it being grown in a number of places. It usually appears here in the hottest part of the summer, after the summer rains it seems. At least in Tucson it did - I don't ever recall seeing it here in Phoenix... That would tell me poor soil and minimal water - lol - if it grows wild here.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59881/

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 8:41 PM

I love the bird! That is so cute. I was looking for some seeds or a seed pod to try and grow some as well. Having a hard time finding it.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mekos, I'll check with the SW peeps and see if anyone might know where to get seeds...

Edinburg, TX

I've photographed Devil's Claw blooming in Summer (July) and Fall (October). Was at the ranch today and the two plants I have flagged are still blooming. The blooms are white but it still hasn't formed seed pods.

Can't think of how the seed pod would get caught in a cow's throat - perhaps more like under their muzzle - like from when they are grazing. Have seen both cattle and horses doing a crazy dance when one gets wrapped around their hoof :o) Funny thing though - the cattle aren't as high strung as the horses - the horses get spooked easier - I think it's the mad dash, rearing and bucking that dislodges it :o)

Reindeer: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5356005

Dream Catcher: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=27414

Deer out of Devil's Claw and pine cone: http://farm-craft-supplies.com/devil-claw.htm
(also sells Devil's Claws)

Just google Devil's Claw crafts for more ideas.

~ Cat

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh I remember seeing Jo's reindeer;o) Love it!

mekos - I think I found you some seeds my friend. I'll let you know...

I just found some on the DG trade thingy and waiting for invoice to pay for them. Thanks for trying. Sure appreciate your help.

Iola, TX(Zone 8b)

Cat, the dream catchers are beautiful! Do you sale them?
Trishann

Edinburg, TX

I didn't make those dreamcatchers - they are photos from other folks on DG.

I was at the ranch this weekend checking on the native plants - drats!!! Something ate the Unicorn Plants down to the ground!!!! One still has a couple of seed pods that weren't eaten but they are still very green so didn't harvest them. Probably the feral hogs - they eat anything!

~ Cat

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I had several plants till DH mowed........... needless to say they are gone, does anyone have a few seeds.
By the way they grow great here in southwestern Michigan, treat as an annual.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

JL Hudson sells these and all sorts of hard to find seed. I love that store.It is on line and probably in the Watchdog.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I gave the seeds except for a few for me to the lady that wanted them. She says to tell everyone who sent seeds "Thank You". She was so happy to get them.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

When I plant these seeds I carefully take a cuticle scissors and cut a very fine border around the tough coating. Inside is a white seed and I plant this. Since the seeds have such a hard outer coat it speeds up germination greatly. Good luck. These are unusual plants and fun to have in the garden.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip Windy. I'll pass that along to Gail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.