Lemon Grass ?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I planted a 4" cymbopogon flexuosus in my herbs this spring in a clay pot. This is rated as a Zone 9 plant. I brought it into my sunporch a few weeks back and am going to transfer it to my semi heated basement, with northern light, and water sparingly through winter. Has anyone else tried growing this or any other lemon grass? I've also d-mailed a woman in Ohio who has grown it to ask for her thoughts. Thanks - Deb

Port Angeles, WA

Hi Bonehead-
I've grown these, 30 - 40 at a time in one gallon pots. They overwintered very well at a thermostat setting of 35 degrees F. Just the cut the foliage back by half and keep them quite dry throughout the winter. I don't recall having any losses, so if there were any they weren't significant.
I hope this helps you.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I have moved it down to the basement which hangs around 55-60 I am guessing. Always a bit chilly but not frigid. I hope it overwinters and can put on some bulk next season. If this works, I may try some other tender perennials (lemon verbena comes to mind, which is an annual for me). Stay warm this winter.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I bought some lemongrass from the produce section and rooted them. I have mine growing in the dining room. I've read here and there that it grows in zone 7 but I'm a container gardener so I don't think I'll leave it outside.

I have read that someone harvests shoots every fall and roots them over winter so they have a plant next year.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Any helpful updates on the growing of lemongrass?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.