ID Help Please

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Late bloomer with large leaves. My chickens ate the tag!
Hope someone can ID this beauty!

Thanks,
Donna

Thumbnail by gapeahen
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna! ^_^

That looks like it may be Lepechinia hastata or Lepechinia salviae.

Hey Danita, Lepechinia hastata. it could be.

Thanks!

Candor, NC

Lepechinia hastata it is! Is Lepechinia salviae available? I'm trying to build a Lepechinia collection to complimate my Salvias.

London, United Kingdom

Agreed! Great plant. I think that salviae is an incorrect synonym for L. hastata. It was sold for a while in the UK as L. salviae, and also as L. floribunda.

My favourite, though, is Lepechinia bella, from Bolivia. Intense blue flowers for a long period.

Thumbnail by 2salvia
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Rich, I don't know about the availability here for the Lepechinia salviae as I saw it on an Australian website. http://www.igarden.com.au/plant-type.jsp?t=Lepechinia&q=Plant
They look very similar to me, but the gardener on that site prefers the L. salviae.

Rich, I've got a few under propagation now and will start more next week.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I was given seeds for Lepechinia bella, but no germination instructions, suggestions ?.

London, United Kingdom

Sow them as you would sow seeds of tender Salvias. Germination is quite slow, usually 3-4 weeks, and you will be lucky to see any flowers in the first year. But worth the wait. Keep the plants away from intense sun. Good luck!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Robin !

London, United Kingdom

You are welcome. Though not a Salvia, it is a stunner!!!!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Donna,,, shame on you blaming those poor chickens. They said "the dogs did it" LOL.
Sure is pretty,
Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.