Sally - my first conversion!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

I got this caudiform today...do not know what it is, any help would appreciated.

Anyway, I converted it to the s/h method. Hydroton had been in bioroot solution for 24 hours. Sally... any comments?

Oh, I used a funny planter to kick off....brave!

Thumbnail by Little_things
Yardley, PA

That is awesome. Great looking plant. Bark looks like my fockia but I am not sure what it is. I do love an adventure.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Does the pot have the holes near the bottom like Sally's do? How do you know when to water if you can't see into the pot?

Arlington, TX

Ok that is what I am wondering. If excess water just leaks out the holes can you overwater?
Love that plant BTW.
C

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I can't remember whether it's Kedrostis or Fockea which has the little bumps on the caudex, but I think it's one or the other.

thanks sally.
The holes are there, about 1inch up (I put them in). As for watering, well I guess Sally would tell you that you get a feel for it at some stage and she also added that you cannot really overwater. So I will work on those principles for now. You can see a bit through the plastic as well.

Faeden, these are seperate plants, each with their own. I did not seperate them, liked the look.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I knew that. I guess I should have said "THEY'RE one or the other" rather than "IT'S one or the other." Sorry.

Yardley, PA

sounds like you set it up just right. I do love the fact you can't overwater.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

My Fockeas have bumpy caudexes like that, but the branches are another thing. Kedrostis are smooth to linear grooves on the caudex. I checked at Birhmann's but could not ID it.

Yardley, PA

You are right AnalogDog. Mine doesn't branch like that. Neat looking plant(s).

faeden, I read your message wrongly...blond moment...I took bumps for each plant..duh!

I have also looked on various sites...still searching..............

They do look nice the little forest!

I just converted my fockea edulis and realized it IS the same as the smaller ones...so I have a bunch!

Cyrtanthus obliquus converted in small baby bucket..hehehe. Here is some information on this "knysna lily".

Local uses by Xhosa and Zulu tribes:
The bulb of Cyrtanthus obliquus is used to relieve a chronic cough and dry bulb layers are used as snuff and to relieve headaches resulting from head wounds. In the Xhosa and Zulu (Amathunga) language it means to sew or knit (as in knit in bones). It is used medicinally for broken bones, cuts and abrasions.

Yardley, PA

Neat Little Things. I have had my fockea edulis in the s/h for years. It is weird-sometimes the caudex will get soft and then it hardens up. Scares me to death. I will check for rot and it is fine.
I thought it was going to sleep and it just sent up a new vine.

Thumbnail by Sally0
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Glad you were able to figure out which one it was, LT!

Yardley, PA

Neat bulb LT. My bulbs have done really well in s/h. The really seem to grow faster. This is my Boophane haemanthooides

Thumbnail by Sally0

Sally that boophane looks good. I think my eventual move will be to see if the softies do better and the bulbs in relation to where we live. I have boxes of seeds, but I want to sort out the mediums first. I am less worried about things like aloes and similar because they are less fussy, but the some of the smaller stuff like lithops do need a change, I have lost 1/3 of them since we moved from the dry low humidity karoo to this higher humidity region.

my euphorbia stella, in with a bit of crush rock just to see.

Yardley, PA

LT, those lithops are not very tolerate at all. Really strict about their culture. Your E. stella is beautiful. I love the stripes on the leaves. Crushed stone? That is interesting. Be real
curious how that works.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.