Pictures of the chicks

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I did manage pictures today. Never having tried chick photography before I don't think they are too great but it will have to do.

Here is a picture of the setup and my 20 gallon long aquarium starter brooder. I had this aquarium already so decided to use it. Works great as I have chicken TV going all day and night long LOL :-))

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

chicks

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

time to rest

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

and napping

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

The Black Copper Marans chick

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh how sweet!!!

The black olive egger that looks just like a BCM to me.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

The same chick again

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

The blue colored olive egger

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

same chick

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hurry up october 18th... I want my babies!!!!
newyorkrita they are just too adorable! Chick TV is the best!!!

My second set of chicks is due to hatch October 23rd if all goes well. I know what you mean about anticipation and the long wait.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2010 4:49 PM

(Zone 5b)

They are so cute, Rita!! Chicken TV is the most fun! You've done a great job.

I just love to watch them. I watch them all the time. Mostly sit here at my computer and I can see Chick TV from only afew feet away.

(Zone 5b)

Everyone has chicks and I'm getting the fever, bad! A friend of mine is going to the big poultry show in Columbus, OH next month. I may have to talk her into bringing some babies home for me! Of course that scares me, germs and all.

Glad you are enjoying your chicken tv, Rita. When is the next batch of chicks due?

Lockdown on the 20th and due on Saturday the 23rd.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Lockdown!!!!!!! dont you just wish that Our incu's had bigger windows!!! Incu TV.. Now that would be great!!!!! Hmmmmm sounds like a project in the making!!!! LOL!!!

Well, my incubators both have lots of viewing area. The Brower is completly plexigrass see thru because thats what the entire top of the incubator is, see thru plexigrass. No problems seeing whats going on in there. One of the reasons that I chose it. The Genesis is also a model with large windows, unlike some of the models that have those tiny windows to look thru.

Annie- I have read that there is no risk of adding just hatched chicks from the hatcheries and safe to keep doing that. I think most people add to their flock like that unless they are into showing. I would be far too afraid to bring home anything, even chicks if they had them from a poultry show. Even with isolation. But everyone has a different view on that.

Why not look at MY PET CHICKEN for afew chicks to add if your needing some babies?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Annie, if you are NPIP, you want to make sure anything you add to your flock is also NPIP. It IS dangerous to introduce additions to your established flock. You never know what hidden "cooties" you get with the new ones. Just be sure to quarantine them for a good period of time. Some things you introduce to your flock can also be introduced to your land/coop..etc. Not to mention your dear girls..

Rita, your chicks are darling.. That one that is an Olive egger is probably a cross with the Marans... . They are sooo cute! Looks like your lil blue might be a pullet. The others look like roos to me..

These are my first chicks as everyone here already knows LOL :-)) So I had seen lots of pictures but still they are just even cuter in person. Plus I didn't realise how very soft they are.

Those olive eggers are both out of a Black copper Marans Rooster. In fact they are second generation bred to be olive eggers. The first generation were easter eggers to a black copper rooster also. Then to get the egg color darker, hens from that first mating were again bred back to a black copper marans rooster. I really would love to see how dark the eggs are and what shade of olive I would get. Thats why I am really hoping for at least one olive egger girl. Of course I want them all to be girls but I know that chances for that happening are much too slim. If I don't get what I want which is at least one olive egger girl and a BCM girl then I will get more eggs of whichever I need and try again. Right now instead of getting more BCM or olive eggers, I want to see how these grow for me. I need some real time experience instead of just reading about it LOL :-))

I forgot to say that the blue one is the bossiest of the batch. It is definately head chick and asserts itself. Its very busy too, always doing something. But then they are all very busy and lively until they just lay down and fall asleep no matter what they were doing. I think its so funny. They grow like weeds.

Now when you say you think roo or pullet, how do you come to think that on something so young? They just look like chicks to me. I am always baffled as to how people figgure out which sex they are. I mean until the grow up of course :-((

(Zone 5b)

I thought about that ZZ. I would keep the new ones in the garage for a long time - even if they come from a NPIP breeder I will have them tested before they can finally join the rest of the Girls. I'm so attached to them, a loss would be too hard at this point. Thats for the advice, I appreciate it so much!!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I so love to watch little chicks at play

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I just guess... I can't tell for sure on the blue one, cause I can't see the wings that well. A full side view pic is best.
Really, I just guess.. It's my favorite thing to do! I'm best when they are about 4 days old... and just start to get wing feathers. When the wing is shaped like a backwards L it's a roo.. when the wing is big and full and shaped like < it's a pullet. This is NOT with all breeds.. and really is not that accurate, but it's one thing I go by.
The other is... Pullets will grow tails first. Again, not with all breeds... A full wing with a sprout of a tail is a pullet.. Again, it varies with breeds.. And.. it is most obvious when the lil roos don't have any tail at all...

Another thing that usually sparks my thoughts of a roo, is not who is bossy or the "leader" but the first to hatch..(often a roo) and the first to come investigate, almost always a roo... the most friendly chicks are usually roos. (In my experience)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Second look... I'm convinced the first one with the leg band is a roo.

I don't see any tail on the lil blue.. and I can't see the wing.. :( If you get a side view, I'd love to see it.

The lil black one that is possibly an Olive Egger has a little tail!! I didnt' see that before! Might be a pullet.. Wish I could see them in person.. This is so fun to me!!

The little blue one has the most wing feathers. It has the most tail too. I am going to remember youir guesses and we will see if they turn out right. In afew days when they grow some I will take more pictures and keep taking pictures as they grow.

Richmond, TX

ZZ is right an uncanny amount of the time.

(Zone 5b)

I was hoping ZZ would chime in on the roo/pullet guess. She was right on with a few of mine and they were Silkies!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

No way Annie! Really? LOL I am no good with Silkies! Catsy is the one that is good with Silkies.

Cool.. then the lil blue is probably your pullet. Please do let me know..

I was wrong with my lavender Ameraucanas.. I thought I had 3 & 3 but it was 4 & 2..

Don't worry I am sure I will be taking more pictures of the chicks than all of you really wanted to see LOL :-)) They are so cute and it is all so new for me.

(Zone 5b)

Yup, ZZ, you were right on with the Silkie guess. I ought to take you to Vegas LOL

Richmond, TX

Is chick sexing big in Vegas this year?

(Zone 5b)

It took me a while to stop laughing long enough to type!

(Zone 6b)

Keep the pictures coming. They are great.

(Zone 5b)

Got two wheaton marans today. They're in the garage and will stay there far away from the others for at least 30 days and not contaminate anything. The lady I got them from is NPIP, and these pullets were also NPIP & AI tested not long ago - they're 4 months old. Buying at the show scared me too much - there will be thousands of chickens there, not a chance I want to take. The new Girl's, Wheatie 1 and Wheatie 2, settled in fast and are eating & drinking. I'm surprised at how heavy and tall they are compared to the others. They're from Wade and Tinsdale lines ? - which means nothing to me, I only want pretty brown eggs. My husband just sighs because I keep trying to turn his nice clean garage into a barn LOL

Hey, Annie Congrats!! I am sure you will love those dark eggs when they start to lay. Can't say I am surprised you got more chickens, just surprised you found what you wanted so quickly. But it just must have been ment to be for them to be yours.

I bet these are from a Marans breeder, not aware of any hatcheries having Wheaten Marans. Breeder (rather than hatchery) quality birds no matter what breed are usually bigger and broader than hatchery stock, or so I have been reading.

(Zone 6b)

I am so tempted to go to the show in Shawnee, OK in December. Maybe I could even enter my white silkies. If I am going to go I should register right away and try to get a room reservation. hmm That's almost 2 months away. So tempted.

What's the worst thing that could happen? I could spend too much money for one thing, and I might come home with some new chickens, or a ribbon. Maybe some new contacts for show silkies too.

I would have a blast in the middle of 4500 chickens.

My daughter thinks I'm silly, and even practically called me a hillbilly the other day. I tried to explain to her that chickens were the new "fad". :) Backyard chickens are honestly becoming very popular, or so I've read. Definitely they are popular with me!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ROFL LFJ. My mom sings Old Mc Donald had a Farm every time she comes over and laughs

(Zone 5b)

I didn't actually do any homework on the new chickens. A good friend of mine has been talking to this lady for a while and been telling me about it. My friend is a germaphobe and very picky when it comes to getting new chickens. I went with her today to pick up her new pullets and an extra two jumped in the crate I said I wouldn't bring but did by accident. Her husband made these great chicken/broody tractors for a lot of her chickens and I talked him into making one for me too. I'm pretty excited about it but will have to figure out a way to get it home now!

Ah, now I understand. The chickens just jumped in the crate that you accidently brought along because you went with your friend. LOL :-))

Well guys, I have never been to a chicken show. And if I lived in the country I would have all sorts of animals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.