Morning Glory Vine

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I co-worker gave me some morning glory seeds yesterday. Another co-worker walked by and muttered to me that they would self seed all over the place.

I live in town and the morning glories would be along a chain link fence. Question: Will they take over the place? I don't want to plant the seeds come spring if they will be as big a pain as the honeysuckle has been.

Dawn

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Morning glories are not invasive like the honeysuckle. They will self-seed, but the seedlings are easy to pull up or mow if they get in the grass. They won't take over the world like honeysuckle does.

I have some 'Grandpa Ott' morning glories on my fence and they reseed and come back every year. However, I had some 'Heavenly Blue' and Moon Vine on my arbor a couple of years ago and neither came back.

There is an invasive type of morning glory, also called bindweed or field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), that is a pain to get out once established because it winds itself around plants and the stems break off easily so you can't pull out the root. It has smaller leaves than the named varieties and small white flowers about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter.

Here's a picture of my 'Grandpa Ott'. (I took it late in the morning, so some were already closing up.)

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

'Grandpa Ott' has nice color to him.

Hmmm. She didn't say what kind it was. Better ask her. She lives in the country so she has the luxury of letting plants spread out. I have limited room so I have to more strict as to how I allow them to behave.

Thanks

Dawn

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Good idea to ask your friend. Some plants can be invasive in one State or part of the US and not in others. For example, I believe morning glories are on the invasives list in Arizona, but am not sure if it is all mg's or just certain species. I've heard they are also considered a weed in Washington State and British Columbia. Since I am in a different State and zone than you are, they may act differently here than they do there.

I noticed that invasive.org lists some species of morning glories, but not all of them have photos or descriptions, so you'd have to know the scientific name. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.invasive.org/species/weeds.cfm There's also a thread on DG that may be helpful: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/767944/

Maria

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.