C.O.R.N. -It's What's For Dinner

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Years ago I asked a friend what she was going to make for dinner and she said "corn". My eyes lit up because I loved corn and could eat nothing but corn for dinner too but thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. She said "No, C.O.R.N. - C-O-R-N... Clean Out Refridgerator Night. Left-overs. Odds and ends".
I adopted her idea and hubby and I have a C.O.R.N. dinner whenever need be. Always the day before we go away for 3 days or more. We actually get a little excited about it.
Last month I got rid of Hub's "beer fridge". It had been his Grandmothers' and had sentimental value, plus we used it as the party fridge for the 4th of July watermelon and the Thanksgiving turkey. The freezer part worked intermittantly so I had it stuffed full of woolen blankets and clothing I was hiding from the moths. I unplugged it in a fit of frugality and after much debate hubs decided it could go. So...we are "down' to one large side-by-side refer/freezer in the kitchen and a chest freezer in the laundry room. I have been cleaning and reorganizing both and made a Hobo stew from odds and ends that I got tired of looking at.
I put the crockpot on high speed, into which I put 2 tsps bacon drippings from the freezer
I added 4 chopped green onions from the garden, these are large and pretty strong so I sauteed them until they were sweet
then I added 2 carrots cut into coins, 8 smallish potatos( chunked) and about 1/3 cup chopped frozen celery
I added a small bag of beef jerky we made years ago. It had been in our truck's emergency kit. I discovered the vacuum bag we had sealed it in had failed and it was hard as a rock. I put it in a small freezer bag a few years ago and it had been moved around in the freezer ever since. Added up, I think it was about 6 yrs old. I tried a tiny bite and it tasted as good as any other jerky I have had. Into the pot it went.
Finally I doused the whole pot with a can of beer we found bobbing along in the river. It was dented but not leaky. I know, because it took up space in the beer fridge for half a year and never leaked or exploded.
I added some water and let it cook til the potatos were done. It was pretty good.

I realize this was a one-of-a-kind meal. If you still have an appetite, share your recipe for creative use of edible clutter. =^..^=

This thread has 47 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!