Peace for the preaditor

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Last summer, I lost a few chicks and ducklings to a wild cat living in the neighborhood. She has lived here for a few years and we have seen a succession of kittens born and dissapear. I could not blame her for being hungry and began putting food out for her. Gradually I noticed that she was coming closer to me and realised that at one time she had been someone's pet.Wheather she was lost or abondoned, I do not know, but if she had known love once, she deserved to know it again.

Two weeks ago, I noticed a yellow kitten playing in the leaves. It is getting cold and I did not want it to die from the cold and hardships as the other kittens had. I started trying to tame the mother in earnest in order to at least, rescue the kitten. Every day, I spent time with her while she ate. Last Saturday, she came for her milk and the need for human interaction overcame her need for food. She wound about my ankles and rubbed her chin against me. Each day now, she comes to be petted before she eats.

This morning she came with a tiny yellow kitten. Suprisingly the kitten allowed me to pick it up without struggle. I held it close and stroked it untill it stopped trembling. As I sat with it, two more, slightly larger kittens came from beneath the porch. They would not even allow me to make eye contact without running away, but I stayed with them. Gradually they started showing some couriosity and allowed me to look at them and speak to them. They ate and drank their fill and I put the first kitten down beside them.

I went in to answer the phone and when I came back out the mother and the two larger kittens were gone. She had left the weakest and smallest to me. DOes she know that I will love and nurture it and find it a loving home where it will never be cold and hungry again? I hope so.

My plan was to gradually tame the kitten and her. I would find the kitten a home and keep the mother to replace the yellow cat I lost this summer. Now, the plan has accelerated and expanded. One kitten captured and two to go. Unfortunately, she looks pregnant again. This could be a long process. What an honor to be the first human to touch this little animal! What a blessing to be the first to show it compassion.

It is the Buddhist beliefe that we live many lives. Wheather we acrue good Karma or bad during our lives, determines our birth into the next. Often I feel that some of the animals that come into my life may have been very bad people in their past. Perhaps they have never known the touch of loving kindness. If I can give it to them now, it blesses both of us and gives me profound joy.

Even if it is simply an animal and nothing else, it deserves my compassion and respect. At least there will be one less preditor after my chicks in the spring.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow.. that is beautiful Jyl.. best wishes to you.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

if you could catch her and have her spayed that would take care of most of the problem. Then just keep her and feed her and she hopefully won't mess with your chickens.
Good Luck and TY for being so kind

Richmond, TX

Good luck with your project. I agree that it is well worthwhile. Our barn cats have all been grateful ferals that have decided to stay and guard our barn in exchange for meals and friendship.

She will definately get spayed as soon as she is tame enough again, but I can't afford to do all of them and I want her sleeping in a nice safe BED with me.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, jylgaskin! Thank you so much for helping out the stray kitties! You deserve all good things to come your way for helping those four (? are there more under the porch) needy souls!

There are only the four, unless she is pregnant as I suspect. The kitten is quiet and snuggled in an old angora sweater right now. I'm still waiting for it's first purr.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

=+D

Huston, we have a purr. I was scratching the kitten tonight and it started to purr. Ahh, Human = pleasure. A good start.

The mother cat has not been back since she left me this kitten. I hope she will let me have the others too, though I know they will not be as easy as this one. I hate to think of the three of them out in the cold tonight when it is warm in here.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

WOW Jyl what a wonderful story to read,,, thanks for sharing.. oh and HI

Arlington, TX

What a blessing for the kitties that they found you!

In Arizona, I did a little feral cat work, not as much as I would have liked.

In many larger cities and suburbs, there are groups that do TNR - trap, neuter and release. They humanely trap and have the animal spayed/neutered, notch the tip of one ear so as to identify that it has been done, and release it where it was trapped. It is so satisfying to know that you have stopped the breeding/homelessness cycle.

Perhaps you could google your area for 'feral cat rescue' or feral cat TNR' and see if you can get some help.

Caroline

An update from years later. I still have the kitten, her name is Bedbug, because under the covers is her favorite place. I also have her mother and a later sister living in the house with me and another feral cat that lived with and thinks she is a dog. Somehow even with 5 cats (I had one in the beginning) there never seems to be that many cats in the house as the are rarely in the same place at the same time. All are finally spayed, but one who is in waiting. No more wild cats living under the porch.

Bridgewater, ME

Love stories like this with happy endings.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm so glad for you and your kitties. Bedbug is a great name!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.