Need help choosing a new puppy

Havertown, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody. We lost our beloved Jack Russell terrier to lyme disease in January. Our (former) vet told us not to bother with the vaccine because Gloria wasn't "at risk." We learned a heartbreaking lesson from that, believe me.

Anyway...
We didn't get a new dog right away because we were planning to move in the spring. Then we bought a house without a fenced yard and THEN we realized we should have some trees taken down before we put up a fence and *THEN* we didn't have the $$$ to get the tree work done right away...

So here we are, 9 months later, and all sorts of dogs are starting to look good to me. I'm so lonesome for puppy love!

We've always had terriers, but at this moment in our lives I think another personality would be a better fit for us. We need a new family member who:

1) will weigh less than 50 lbs full grown
2) doesn't shed a whole lot
3) DOESN'T SLOBBER
4) will tolerate other animals (esp cats)
5) won't knock down 86-y.o. Aunt Sophie, who lives with us
6) likes children (our youngest is 10, but there are lots of littler ones in the new neighborhood)
7) won't be prone to any really terrible genetic health problems or disposition problems
8) can get by with minimal daily grooming
9) will enjoy camping with the family (Gloria was a little too opinionated to take to the campground)
10) won't mind being doted on by two aging Baby Boomers whose children will all be leaving the nest in the next few years.

I've been checking the SPCA, but I guess the message of spaying/neutering housepets has really gotten through to people, because there aren't any puppies over there, just strays and sad little souls who've been turned in by so-called pet owners.

Somehow the idea of a beagle is stuck in my head. What do you think? What other breeds should we be looking at?? And if anybody in the PA/NJ/DEL area can recommend a breeder, that would be great, too.

Thanks,
suky

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!