Carolina native?

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Could someone please take a look and id this woody shrub/small tree. I am cutting it waaaaayyy back for my shade garden , and I'm afraid I've done the wrong thing...

This foto is the "front" and "back" views of the leaves and branches. I think it is a SC native.

I'm going to ask on the shrub forum too.

Thanks,

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1
Conway, SC

Southern magnolia

Here's a little better shot of the leaves.

When I googled images of southern magnolia, those leaves were not sawtoothed like these are. Now these do look nice and dark green, but there has never been the first sign of any type of bloom or fruit. It has been growing in deep shade and is more of a woody shrub than a tree. Does all this make a difference in whether you still think it is a southern magnolia?

Thanks for your help.

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1
Conway, SC

Not a magnolia if the leaves are sawtooth. There are many types of Laurel trees with similar leaf structure. See if it looks like the one below. I'll check out a few other trees and I'll get back to you.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/235124/

It certainly looks very much like these. I remember it did not bloom at all, so that's what made me think it was not a laurel. But maybe it is just in too deep a shade. It surely looks like some type of laurel, now that I've looked at many of them. I think cutting it back can only help it. Whatever it is going to do, it will just have to do it. It is too large to move.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll be interested in seeing anything you come up with.

Linny

BSD, now that I look further, it seems most like a bay laurel. And it would prefer more sun but there's no way unless I propagate it and plant it in a better spot.

We'll see...

Linny

Conway, SC

Linny, this is what I was trying to find. You will notice it is in the Laurel family.
I have the one called "Gold Dust" which grows best in shade. If someone planted it in a shaddy spot then this might be it. It does not bloom or have any fruit. You will not hurt it by pruning. It is very forgiving.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/91188/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.