hydrangeas in shade?

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm planning a shade garden and I want all white flowers. I saw where Sister Therese Hydrangeas do well in shade. Is this really true?

Thanks, Linny

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

While I've never grown Sister Therese, I have grown two beautiful Limelight hydrangeas. One is in more sun than the other but both are so lovely and are white, bordering on green. As the season progresses there is a delightful shade of pink in the heads.

Here's a photo of the one in sun taken this year on July 14.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's the one in shade, which may be too green for your wish of a white garden.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hydrangeas do like shade--if it's really deep, dark shade then they may not bloom as well, but if they get some morning sun or some indirect light then it should be happy.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My "Snow Queen" oak leaf hydrangeas are shaded most of the day and do beautifully.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That's gorgeous leawood! I love that hedge too! What is it?
Most recommended at least part shade or more, particularly for midday sun, in warmer zones where hydrangeas get a little droopy (just like me on those kind of days! ) I think your plants will be just fine, as long as they are getting indirect sun or morning sun, and aren't competing with too many tree roots for water (if it's trees creating the shade)
Best of luck with your project. Posting pictures never hurts either! :) I love to see other gardener's. "Before and after"

The dappled shade works well for hydrangeas here. Their colors all look good, no crisping or browning of leaves and no drooping by the end of the day.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks, OutlawHeart!

The hedge is just Buxus 'Winter Gem' - it does fine in Zone 5. I have used it throughout my garden with no problems (except where the yard guys hit it with their mower - it is very sensitive to 'bumps' in cold weather.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Pirl that picture is stunning! I love em! Can't wait to have a yard full! :)
I put my hydrangeas along the north east front of my house where they'll get lots of morning sun in the spring until the catalpa blooms, when it's hotter and they get dappled sun and indirect light but are more protected from the winter winds. Hope that I'm not overwhelming you. :) I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.