Orange Sulphur (Colias eurytheme)

Maggie Valley, NC

Thumbnail by paulatc
Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful shot !! Really nice color........however I believe this is a female Cloudless Sulphur, not an Orange.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

I agree with DiOhio, that this picture is a Cloudless Sulphur and not an Orange Sulphur, and I have therefore moved the image to our entry for that species here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/41/

Kennedy

Maggie Valley, NC

Thank you so much! I have a hard time differentiating between Sulphurs! Any corrections of mistakes in my identifications are ALWAYS appreciated! I have had difficulty with the various fritillaries as well! So you know of a site or an identification book that puts photos of the different varieties side by side, so that the comparisons can be noted? It would also help if both undersides and topsides of the wings could be displayed, as well as male/female differences side by side!

I am posting photos of some others for ID. (The swallow-tailed Appy I know!) Unknown fritillaries, and another sulphur. Is this a great spangled fritillary or an aphrodite fritillary, or another, or two different ones, or M/F of the same variety?

Also a couple of photos of another sulphur. Is this the same as my first photo, or a different type, or perhaps a M or the same?

Thanks again!

Thumbnail by paulatc
Maggie Valley, NC

Here is another ID question:

Thumbnail by paulatc
Maggie Valley, NC

And another:

Thumbnail by paulatc
Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

Paulatc I'd say the first inserted pic you sent is a Great Spangled Frit.

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

I believe the second Frit is an Aphrodite. Do you have "Butterflies through Binoculars The East" field guide by Jaffrey Glassberg? I love that guide. When in question I also use the National Audubon Society field guide. I'll check out the sulphur now. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I used to get email noticed when someone posted a question or comment and now I don't, so I didn't see your post until today.

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

I think that last sulphur is an Orange. And you're right, I wish there was a guide that showed all topwings and underwings and male and female and possible variations. Every guide that I know of is missing something or other. Let me know if you ever find one. If I can't ID from either of my guides, or if I'm not 100% sure, I check online.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.