Whats good for fall planting?

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm just looking for suggestion for my garden, as everything is dieing back or going to sleep and I've never done any gardening in the fall before.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Elaine

Thumbnail by Jimenez_Garden
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

bulbs are always good

Thomaston, CT

If you want fall color, be sure to have asters....also dahlias look great this time of year....and reblooming roses love the cooler weather.....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do you mean you want to know what blooms now? or what to plant now for next year?

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

well actually Both, Everything in my front-scape is gone, all i have is snow in summer which never gave their last bloom. So im looking for some color that with brighten up my home.

Also Ive never planted in the fall. So im kinda scared that if i plant stuff its gonna die and i'll be laying in waiting for nothing. I've got the planting jitters /////
I guess it's because i'm new at dealing with flowers and i don't know what to do.

I've only started growing seriously growing the past 2 yrs after i started building my garden boxes

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fall is one of the best times for planting hardy perennials. and of course bulbs get planted in the fall.

But for fall bloomers there's mums, asters, anemone, heliopsis, lobelia, rudbeckia, scabiosa, goldenrod, spiderwort, Tricyrtis(toad lily) sedum, some daylilies, some irises rebloom in October

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have planted a number of plants in fall... and had luck with a lot of them ... but would not plant agastache again in the fall... they did not return

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I really like your garden structure. I agree with the plants for fall color everyone has posted. I only like to plant larger perennials with a really good root structure in fall. I usually plant in the spring, but that is because I poop out by the end of summer mostly. Bulbs for spring blooms are planted in fall as are many shrubs. Mulching newly planted plants( keep it off the crowns) like the rest of the garden will help with frost heaves and maintain a level soil temp to give them a better chance to come back in the spring. Good luck with your new garden, it looks like you are off to a great start. Looking forward to hearing an update.

Thomaston, CT

Yes....keep us posted with photos!

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Tis is the front of my home where i'm looking to place flowers now and next year i will try to plant flowers around my garden and some kind of vine on my trellis.

So far i've got rudbeckia in 8" and about 36" varieties and sedum seeds
:)

Thomaston, CT

If your trellis gets a lot of shade, Silver Moon clematis will do very well on it.....

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

thanks Robindog i'll check it out

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey robindog, i heard that Silver Moon clematis is poisonous if indigested and i have a 2 yr and 8mnth old, but it really is beautiful though.

Does any one know of flowers that grow well in spots with morning sun only?

And whats the HOTTEST pepper out there?

heres my future gardener in training... lol

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hellebores like that light

South Hamilton, MA

'Gardener' looks cheerful.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

bubble blowing days are always cute

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

OMG they are B-utiful, but poisonous, go figure...

I need a PG 13 kinda plant.But I'll put that one in the books for when my kids are in the NC17 range, lol

or at least until they're 5-7, when they know better... hopefully, hahaha
Thanks again
You guys really know some very nice plants.

So far ive planted Narcissus, Dutch Iris, and I planted asstd crocus' in the shape of a heart around My Europeana Rose Tree. I also move my Asiatic Lilies to the edges of my garden from the front of my house so they can get more light cuz they only bloom once every summer with out enough light i guess.
Cant wait to see how everything is going to look.
(=^D

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

He was in the garden with me yesterday and I was planting my lilies and he was helping me to dig up the dirt... little did i know, when I turned back around, he was eating the dirt. I guess i was investigating the alkalinity level in my soil. Needless to say, it was time to go back inside and brush his 4 lil teefers, lol

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

I've also been looking for asters and dahlias with no luck so far, but im still looking

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey ngam, why shouldn't i put mulch on the crowns? Is that because they wont be able to breath right ( you know what i mean)

And hey guys,do roses need to mulched the same way, off the crown? or do they need to heavily mulched?

Thomaston, CT

I find the best mulch for roses is rotted manure dumped right on top of crown after the ground has frozen....keeps the roses toasty, & fertilizes when spring rains come. Your little one is a cutie!

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Robindog, i'll do that.. And Thanks he's a doll, It's been a pleasure being a mom with all its ups and downs, kinda like being a gardener. Once the seed is planted and it starts to grow, you have to shape them and groom them into beautiful and wonderful flowers so they can ]bloom and sine
=)

Thomaston, CT

For sure!

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Robindog, What veggies are good for growing in the winter, do you know?

I know Some onions and garlic and broccoli but theres gotta be more, right?

The hottest pepper is Bhut Jolokia. 1,041,427 on the scoville chart. Heres the link about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper#Scoville_rating

They are hot. I cant eat a sliver of the darn things. I gave a piece to a young guy that came here, he ate it and almost hyper-ventilated. He couldnt catch his breath. People have been trying to get hotter peppers and I belive what they call 5 pots are trying to get it document they are hotter, but has not happened yet. I have been growing Bhuts for 3 years now. Why you want some seeds?

Thumbnail by
Thomaston, CT

Well, Jimenez, you need a greenhouse to grow during the winter, but if you have one, lettuce, kale, beet greens, radishes would grow.

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

What about a cold frame, would that work?

Thomaston, CT

Not where I live, but try it....it may be OK for you.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Ever tried wintersowing in milk jugs or liter soda bottles? If not go to Wintersowing.org and learn all about it or go to the wintersowing forum here on this website or over at Gardenweb.com..wintersowing forum.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes been there done that, works great

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.