Sarcocaulon herrei

Yardley, PA

Had some really nice growth on this plant this summer. At least the plant appreciated the heat.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Arlington, TX

Another amazing plant, how do you keep them over the winters in PA?
Cheryl

Yardley, PA

They are in my living room, under lights. I could put them in the basement but I love admiring them. Luckily my boyfriend is easy going.

Arlington, TX

Do you have a grow light set up? I don't keep many plants that need to come indoors because of lack of space and they never do that well. Do you water and if so how often?
C

Yardley, PA

They are sent up under grow lights. I do water them but I have all of mine in semi-hydroponics so they are never sitting in water or get soggy. It has cut down on my rot problems tremendously. The plants also grow faster as the roots are free to roam. Semi-hydroponics are round, clay pellets. I use no dirt and haven't for many years. The container has 2 holes about an inch from the bottom. The water sits at the bottom and feeds the pellets to keep them moist. It was invented for orchids but I have had great success with this culture. It is amazing how many roots will grow right into the water and the plants don't rot. I think for many of these plants, this is close to how they grow in the wild.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How fascinating that you grow these gorgeous plants in a form of hydoponics! I had noticed that in your Euphorbia tortirama photo.

I am amazed that this works well with caudiciforms. Very nice plants and very interesting information.

Arlington, TX

interesting, I need to check out this technique.
C

Yardley, PA

I get my supplies from First Rays. He developed this system for orchids. I had orchids and I tried the succulents and caudiciforms. Had much better success with the latter. Actually, I don't have orchids anymore but I still have about 85 plants all in s/h.

Arlington, TX

Do you have any adeniums growing like this?

Yardley, PA

Yes, actually, there is a picture of one right under this one. I have about 8 adeniums growing in s/h.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.