Container Clematis

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I guess I have never fully understood the "how to" of growing a clematis in a container. I planted an Evison "Angelique" in a large container this spring - it grew and bloomed well. Well, actually, it was blooming when I bought it....and continued to grow well. Soon it will be time to put away for winter and I'm not sure of the best way to do this. It will go into an unheated basement. The part I'm not sure of is when does it go there - before or after frost? or freeze? Should it be brown? or still green? Do I cut it back now? or maybe Spring? Do I water during the winter months? When to bring back to the light? I would love some information from you wonderful growers. Thank you!

Dathen

Anyone?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have never grown one indoors. I leave them outside so they can go through that cold spell that they need. Can you plant it outside? Maybe even put the pot in the ground if you want to keep it in a pot, and then take the pot back out in the spring.

Thanks, Marie. I really want to keep it in the pot. I don't want to put it in the ground because it's in a large decorative -type container. I have it on a "porch" which is really only a "stoop", and want to keep it there next year. Thank you for your suggestions.

Dathen

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe insulate the pot if you don't want to bury it?

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

That's what I was going to suggest, Bananna. The only issue would be the roots possibly freezing. Insulate the pot and it should do fine. I was thinking of doing the same thing down here in GA (putting a Clem in a container on the deck) but was worried about the roots getting too cold in the winter. That was my solution to try for myself.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess if the pot is big enough, it should be ok. I have some that are about 15 inches high and 24 "diameter. I hope mine will be ok. It is warmer here though.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dathen - please let us know how the clematis performs for you next year. I've never tried it your way though I have held a few over in the garage for the winter when it was just too late and too cold (for me) to plant them. They were planted the following year and have done very well.

Thanks.

Thank all of you for your suggestions. The pot has to be moved because we always cut a small Christmas tree and put it there to decorate for the holidays. Since we have to move it anyway, I think it's going into the basement. My husband did just tell me that the basement temp goes down to only about 55 in the winter; I hope that is not going to be too warm - at this point I don't remember whether climatis need a freeze or not.

When we bought it, we decided that we would take a chance on keeping it in a container, so here goes. Next spring I'll let you know what happens.

Dathen

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think it needs a freeze, just a rest. Sounds like it will have a nice cozy home for the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.